22

Frances
Present

•••

Billie had invited my family, his mom, and the boys. So far, only the boys were here. My family called and they said they would be here in 15 minutes, but, that was 10 minutes ago.

"I'm nervous." I told them, they all sat around me, they were messing around. Telling jokes, drinking a few beers, telling old stories.

"You shouldn't be nervous. This is your family. They know who you are, they know your situation. Don't worry, baby." Billie said, rubbing my knee.

"Did they ever go see me in the hospital?" I asked, pushing a strand of hair behind my ear.

"Yeah, a few times. Your step mom couldn't handle it. She was a wreck. Your dad went crazy, they both thought it would be better to see you when you were finally out. They were going insane and I agreed it would be best." He explained, frowning.

"What about my brother and sister?" I asked, sighing. "They weren't allowed it but they knew. They cried for hours." He sighed.

"Oh." I frowned, propping my head on my hand. "And your mom?" I asked, most likely annoying him.

"She knows. She visited you a few times, she's always incredibly busy with work but she was extremely happy you were awake and that you wanted to see her." He smiled, taking a sip of his beer.

"Oh, okay." I quietly said, playing with my hands.

"I'm guessing my mom didn't even bother-'' I was cut off by Tre laughing.

"Franny, no offense, but your mom is the biggest bitch I've ever encountered. Mike and I went to go tell her the news and yknow what she said?" He seemed annoyed, angry almost.

"Not my fucking problem; is what that old witch bitch said. She said it's what happens when you don't listen to your mother." He grew annoyed.

"I hope she rots." Mike said, chugging his beer. "I'll drink to that." Tre agreed, taking a gulp of his beer.

"I had a flashback, or a dream, whatever the fuck you call it; she was a total bitch." I grumbled, crossing my arms.

"She wasn't always a bitch, she was genuine. Until, she found out we were getting serious, that's when she flipped. She did however, push you a lot to get scholarships and a high gpa." Billie added, "You didn't like that. You did graduate in the top ten, though."

"What?" I asked, confused at what he just told me. "You're smart. Everything you did, you owned it." Billie said, running his hand up and down my knee.

We hear a faint knock, followed by the door bell ringing. "I'll get it." Billie says, throwing his beer can away.

He walks over to the door that was down the other hall, opening it.

"Where is she? My Franny." I hear a familiar voice say, it was Irene; my step mom.

"She's in the living room, be careful with her, please." I heard Billie say.

I hear sets of footsteps approach the living room, my back tensing.

"Frances? Oh my god." I hear my dad say, before he pulls me into a hug.