Chapter 1: Progress

"So how have you been lately, Miss Garcia?" She asked, crossing her legs and tapping her pen on her clipboard she used to write things down on.

"Worst, my flashbacks are becoming more vivid and they happen anytime, anywhere." I sighed, laying back in the black leather body chair.

"Have you been taking your prescription?" She asked, tilting her head to the side.

"I think that's the problem. The bottle has many different warnings...maybe I should get off it." I played with my fingers.

"Miss Garcia-" I cut her off.

"Emelia.. I told you to call me Emelia." I said sternly, I hated when call me Miss Garcia. That's my mothers name...

"Sorry! I must've forgotten." She apologized. I nodded and waited for her to carry on. "How's life at home?" she asked.

I closed my eyes and let out a shaky breath.

"Mom, you're just gonna let him beat me like this?!" I screamed as I exposed my wounds, scars and bruises to her.

She inhaled her third cigarette in the matter of an hour, "We need him, he keeps this roof over our head." she exhaled, averting her eyes from mine.

I shook my head, "I'll get a job, you can get one as well! We can move out, get a new house! please I can't keep doing this" I begged.

"Enough Emelia! We need him and that's final! If you wanna leave then go ahead! But I need him" She shrugged me off before taking a sip of her whiskey.

"Emelia?" She asked, putting her hand on my shoulder. I jumped and shook my head, "I-I uh, yeah?" I sighed, running my hands over my face.

"How's life at home?" she repeated her question.

"Quiet..."

"That's a good thing right?" she asked, writing something down.

I shook my head, "No, the quiet is what brings the memories back even more. I'm constantly listening to music, having the t.v on...something for sound."

"Maybe you should look for a roommate." She suggested.

I scoffed, "No disrespect Mrs. Monroe, but as a therapist that's probably one of the worst suggestions you've given me for the time being. You know that's not a good idea."

She nodded slowly, "Apologies."

I nodded, "Its cool"

"How are your self inflicted ways?" She asked.

"Taunting, but not strong enough...yet" I bit my lip.

"That's good, Emelia. Keep staying strong!" She cheered.

I chuckled, "You're more excited than I am..."

"I've been working with you for two years, this is the longest you've gone without harming yourself. Three weeks is a huge improvement. " She complimented me.

"Thanks"

"So what about your career?" She moved on.

"Don't have one. After I somehow managed to graduate High School, I've been trying to fix my place up a little...make it feel like a home I guess." I scratched my head, sighing deeply.

"Well you should try to get one, maybe it'll keep you busy so you won't have these flashbacks" She insisted.

I nodded, "Maybe..."

"Name some things your good at?"

"You know what I'm good at, Mrs. Monroe" I turned my head to face her.

She smiled, "I know, but I wanna hear you say it."

"Singing, dancing, drawing, soccer, volleyball....That's it." I shrugged.

"You forgot playing guitar and piano." She smirked, writing something down.

I sat up, swinging my legs to the side, "What are you writing down anyway? I've been with you for two years...what more could you really need to know?" I asked.

"People grow everyday, you learn new things from people everyday. I've watched you grow, Melia..theres a lot of new things about you.."

I pushed my lips to the side, "Oh"

Mrs. Monroe looked on the watch on her wrist. "Well sadly, this is the end of our session but I'll see you next week okay?" she stood up.

I stood up as well and hugged her, "Thanks" I smiled. I grabbed my black shoulder bag with gold studs and long fringes hanging from it. I threw it over my shoulder and left the room.

I exited the building, grabbing the keys to my black jeep out my bag. I unlocked the door with the push of the button then hopped into the drivers seat. I closed and locked the door before grabbing my black iPhone 5s out my bag and turning it on.

I put the key in the ignition and heard the car roar with power. I turned on the radio, "Stay With Me" by Sam Smith was on. I hummed along as I looked through my phone.

No messages, no calls, no surprise.

All I had were notifications from Twitter. I sighed and put my phone back in my bag before driving to the nearest beach.

I needed some peace but not quiet.