Chapter 8: Placid

My arms were sore and numb as they hung above my head, the thick rope digging into my skin. I was filthy, dirt and dried blood was plastered all over my body. My eyes felt like weights as i tried to keep them open. I stood on my very tippy toes, trying to ease the pain in my wrist.

My t-shirt was ripped at the collar and stretched. My shorts were slightly falling down and my socks were dirty and torn a little. Dried tears stained my cheeks along with blood from my nose. The room smelt of dirt and sweat, debris scattered all over the dirty cement ground. We were in the basement of the house.

As I struggled to get my wrists free, the door bursts open. He stood there with a smirk on his face then slowly proceeded his way towards me. My head fell limp against my chest and fear fill my body.

"Tired yet?" He chuckled.

I didn't say anything, I closed my eyes as the tears spilled out my eyes and over my dried lips.

"Oh we can't speak?" He asked, a smirk on his face, "Ill tell you this, if you say you're sorry I'll let you go back to your room."

I slowly lifted my head, "I-I'm sorry" I whispered, my voice shaky and cracking softly.

"I can't hear you." He growled, grabbing my face and lifted it up to his.

"I'm sorry" I said louder.

He chuckled and let go of my face and digging in his pocket, pulling out a pocket knife. I immediately started to freak out, scared at what he was doing.

"Shut up" He demanded then reached up and cut the rope from my wrist, making me almost fall over.

My arms were completely numb and my wrist were sore and bruised deeply. My legs were shaking and my whole body was completely sore.

"Go, I don't wanna hear a word from that room." He growled, pointing at the door.

I nodded and walked as fast as I possibly could up the stairs and through the living room where my mother sat, a fresh cigarette in her hand. I stopped at the stairs and stared at her, her eyes met my red drooped eyes and she immediately averted hers away from mine. I shook my head and walked up the stairs into my room.

No one cares, at all.

I jumped up out of my sleep drenched in sweat. My heart was racing and I couldn't breath. It felt like my heart was beating out of my chest. I jumped up out my bed and tried to walk to the bathroom but I fell onto the floor on my hands and knees. I grabbed my chest and took deep breathes until I finally calmed down.

After a good five minutes my breathing was back to normal. I sat down, bringing my knees up to my chest and sob softly. That was the scariest wake up freak attacks I've had in a couple months. I honestly thought I was dying. My hands were shaking terribly and so was the rest of me. I rocked back and forth, inhaling and exhaling slowly and deeply through my mouth. The cold air from the air conditioning being on all night dried my lips as I inhaled.

My phone ringing made me jump out of my skin. I sighed and grabbed my phone off my nightstand behind me.

"H-Hello?" I stuttered, my voice shaky.

"Emelia? It's Cameron, are you alright?" He asked, his voice oozing concern.

"No, n-now isn't a good time." I sighed, sniffling

"What's wrong?" He asked, I heard things moving around and voices in the background fade.

"I-I can't do this." I shook my head and hung up the phone, tossing it onto my bed.