Chapter 17: Inexplicable

I stared out the huge open window, taking in the beautiful night view. The stars twinkled brightly, the darkest behind them making them shine even brighter than usual. The half moon looked bigger than usual as well, it was a breath taking view.

It always fascinated me how the dark hides landscapes we see during the daylight. The mountains were no longer visible as if they were never there to begin with.

His fingers danced around my waist, making me jump slightly. He leaned his head on my shoulder, fully wrapping his arms around my waist, pulling me into him.

"Are you okay?" He whispered against my jawline, his lips brushing it slightly.

I nodded my head, keeping my eyes on the view. "Beautiful right?" He asked, taking me out my daydream.

"What?" I muttered, brushing my hair out of my face.

"The view, it's what I love about this room the most." He spoke quietly.

"It's definitely breathtaking." I agreed, "But doesn't the dark interest you?" I inquired.

"What do you mean?" He asked.

"The dark hides things you see on a daily basis, whether it's the good or the bad. Some people are frighten by it but I'm more frightened by the sunlight." I explained.

"Why?"

"You see everything, everything is so much more vulnerable than it is at night. At night, you can hide but during the day everything is exposed. I'm not a fan of vulnerability which is why I prefer the night." I spoke quietly, pressing my hand against the glass window.

"Wow, never thought of it like that." He said in shock.

"Nobody really does, they don't fear the dark they fear what's in the dark which is completely understandable. I use to fear the dark but I got over it after I had worser things to fear." I said in hushed tones, looking down at my hands.

Cameron's arms tightened around me, "Hey, it's alright. You have nothing to fear anymore." He cooed in my ear.

"I wish that was true." I slightly raised my eyebrows, playing with my fingers.

"I'm not gonna let anyone hurt you." He assured me.

I scoffed, "it's who I'm afraid of its what I'm afraid of." I turned around to face him, his hair slightly disheveled, "What if these flashbacks never go away?" I questioned, my voice threateningly shaky.

Cameron rubbed my upper arms in comfort as I crossed my arms over my stomach, "They will, it'll take time but you will."

"I don't know how much more I can handle this. I'm tired of waking up out of breathe and completely frightened. I just want it all to end, no matter the cost." I breathed, my eyes beginning to tear up.

"Don't talk like that, Emelia," he grabbed my face, "We're gonna get you through this. I promise."

"Don't promise things you can-"

"I promise." He cut me off, looking me in my eyes as he caressed my cheeks with his thumbs.

"I hate that word, I'm always disappointed in the end." I bit my bottom lip and averted my eyes from his.

"Look at me." He demanded but I didn't listen, a lump forming in my throat and tears stinging my eyes. "Look at me, please." He pleaded.

I looked in his eyes, a few tears involuntarily falling from mine, I took a deep shaky inhale before pursing my lips together tightly. "I'm gonna try my absolute best to not disappoint or hurt you." He promised.