I

Doors of an old Detroit apartment building opened, and a teenager ran out those doors. "Get back here right now, Fred!"

Fred didn't obey his father's injunction and kept running. "Frederick Samuel!! Get back here I said! Do you not construe the English language?"

Richard Cardwell had no option other than to chase his son. After five minutes he caught him and marched him home, pulling him by his hoodie. "You're not going to run from me and be a galling bastard! Why can't you just stay put as a normal child does?! I'm going to buy some handcuffs and keep you chained to the wall like a god damn street dog,"

Fred: "I don't have to help you and your bitch. She isn't my mother, she's just a woman who lives in this house and whom you enjoy humping,"

Richard: "Get in the house now and shut the fuck up, bastard. Do you want me to send you to a colony for minors? Trust me, it'll be way worse than your current living conditions. Now clean up the kitchen like Palutena and I asked you to,"

Fred: "That's your mistress' job, not mine. And yeah, send me anywhere, it'll be much better than living in the same house with you and her. I wouldn't wish anybody to have a father like you,"

Then physical fights started between the son and father. Palutena Formenton, Richard's girlfriend was just standing there and watching. She didn't care a whole lot about Fred and never got involved in their fights.

Frederick Samuel Cardwell was fifteen years old. He was a problematic child who escaped home every chance he got, skipped and failed school, was on drugs, addicted to cigarettes, marijuana, and alcohol. He would often return home at two in the morning, either drunk, high, covered in cigarette burns, or all three at once. Sometimes, he would run away from home and go missing for three days in a row.

Trixie Hubs, Fred's biological mother, abandoned him at birth. She seduced Richard when he was sixteen in a nightclub an married him 4 months later. However, when she became a mother to Fred at age nineteen, she told Richard this wasn't what she wanted and left him with their newborn son. Two weeks later, Trixie was sued and jailed for engaging in sexual activities with a person under eighteen and was proved guilty of selling illegal drugs to minors as well.

Twelve years after Fred's birth, Richard started seeing Palutena and left his son to be by himself. By the time Richard remembered about his son, things were so messed up that it would take several years to patch everything back up. When Fred was thirteen and a half, he made street friends who were feeding him drugs, alcohol and a half pack of cigarettes per day. They would get together every day and smoke pot. Fred was failing school as well and had to be held back twice in eighth grade. By high school, he started running away from home, which caused Richard to chase him and sometimes call the police to find him. During Fred's first two and a half years of high school, Richard, neighbors, and owners of gas stations called the cops on him twelve times for various incidents. Fred was arrested twice: for teen drinking and for stealing a motorcycle. He was checked into a mental hospital and stayed there for almost a year. 

When Fred turned eighteen, Richard and Palutena got married, and on their wedding day Fred ran away to his street friends and did not come back. After that incident, Richard just gave up on him and didn't call the cops to find him. He decided that it wasn't possible to change the situation anymore. However, three weeks after Fred ran off, Richard received a phone call and was told that his son was arrested and there was going to be a lawsuit. Fred was charged with a house robbery: the homeowner reported that twenty thousand dollars, a gold necklace and a game console were missing. A security camera recorded the robbery and Fred's face was visible in the recording. The owner's neighbor saw Fred break into the flat with an empty bag and run away with a full one with a few cords being visible. A game controller even fell out while he was leaving the parking lot, and the owner said it was from his console that was stolen.