Chapter 2: A Flash Of Remembrance (Part 5)

Karen exited the Camero and hurried up the road. She made sure nobody is watching. Her lipstick was smeared all over her face and her lips were puffy. She had that "I just had sex with the guy I'm cheating on my husband and father of my 3 children" look. She got in the house and hurried to the bedroom to fix herself. What she didn't notice was Mike seeing her with Billy as she was exiting his car. He was coming from the opposite side through a yard. Mike felt sick to his stomach. As soon as she came in, Mike and Holly followed. The little girl didn't understand what was happening, but Mike was disappointed.

He couldn't understand how his mother can go out with someone that's the same age as her daughter? The siblings entered the house and were greeted with the snoring of their dad. "Go ahead, Holly. Take off your coat and shoes and play." – He ordered his sister with a smile on his lips. The little girl giggled and hopped to her room. Mike let a loud sight and went in the kitchen, passing his sleeping father on the way over.

His mother, upstairs freshened up and left the bathroom only to be met by the little blond standing in front of the door. "Oh, hello Holly." "Hello, mommy" "Where were you and Mike? You suddenly disappeared!" – She scolded her youngest child. "Max's place. Suzi gave us cookies!" – Holly exclaimed as he filled her mother in. "Oh, that's good, but no cookies before dinner, alright? We're going over at Mr. and Mrs. Jenkins' place." "Okay, mommy." – The little girl agreed and hurried towards her room. Karen looked over at the wall clock that was hanging on the wall and saw that it was half past five.

The woman walked down the hallway and knocked on her older daughter's bedroom door. "Nancy?" – She asked. Shuffling and footsteps were heard from the other side of the door. "What?" "Start getting ready, it's half past five. We're going over for dinner across the street." – After that Karen didn't hear a response. She knew Nancy heard her and proceeded towards Mike's room, but he wasn't in there, so she walked to the kitchen where, again Mike wasn't. She knew there was only one place left for him to be and that was the basement. She knocked on the basement door and a "Come in" was heard from the other side.

Karen opened the door and walked down the stairs. Mike was sat on the couch and was playing with his walkie talkie. "Mike? You need to start getting ready. We're going over for dinner, remember?" "I don't wanna go..." – Mike answered bluntly as he was still playing with the device in his hands. "I don't care Mike, you're going!" – Karen spat back. Mike grin his teeth and bites his tongue back so he won't spat at his cheating mother. Even though she wasn't happy in the marriage, it didn't give her the right to cheat on her husband and his father. Mike let out a sigh, again and slammed the walkie talkie on the table. Karen stood and watched as her son stormed up the stairs. After she went up the basement stairs, leaving the walkie talkie in the basement. As she closed the door, static from the device was heard followed by a voice. "Mike? Mike, are you there? It's El..."

-

Max was sitting in her room, listening to a mixtape that she got for her birthday from Will. It had all her favourite songs on it from David Bowie, The Who, The Mamas and The Papas, Duran Duran, The Smiths and many more. She was reading a book that was assigned to them for her literature class. Her concentration was devoted to the book as she bobbed her head up and down to the beat of "Rebel Rebel" by David Bowie. Jane and she loved that song. They considered themselves rebels because they didn't listen to when Hopper told them to go to sleep, instead they would get a flashlight and talk on and on about everything. From pop culture, to Lucas and Mike, Jane and Max explored every single topic that they could think of.