Chapter 1: White lie (Part 3)

(This part now has a different beginning)

Hopper drove towards the police station. His day was almost over which was a big plus for him. Now, he only needed to go down to the station, collect some files and head over towards Mr. Clarke's house so he can pick him up and take him to his house. Mr. Clarke the science teacher was Jane's teacher. He was a nice man with so much patience. He was perfect for Jane! Their previous encounter in front of the AV club was long forgotten by Mr. Clarke! Now, he was Jane's teacher and he enjoyed working with her, and she enjoyed working with him.

While parking his car, Hopper noticed that there was an extra car parked in front of the station. Hopper taught that it was probably belonging to someone from the area that's here to report gnome stealing or owl attack, per usual. Hopper went in the station, leaving his coat and hat on the coat rack. "You're back, chief!" – Flo greeted him and handed him an apple. It was their thing. Whenever Hopper entered the station, she gave him an apple which he gladly accepted. Hopper was trying to live a healthy life now that he's a single dad. He didn't drink anymore, only smoked occasionally and the dosage of his medication was lowered which was a positive thing!

He walked towards his office, greeting his colleagues in the process, while Flo was running after the big man. "Chief, there's this man in your office wanting to see you. He said he was your old friend from the city." – This statement made Hopper stop in his track. He knew what that was a code for, Dr. Owens is here! Hopper muttered a thank you under his breath and proceeded in his small office. While opening his door, he saw a man with white hair and a walking stick sitting right across his desk chair. The man got up and offered his hand to Hopper, which he gladly accepted and gestured the man to sit down while he sat behind his desk.

"IS my eye sight getting worst, or are you getting younger Hopper?" – Owens teased. "I don't know which one is, but I'm feeling great lately!" – Hopper informed the doctor. "And why is that?" "I gave up drinking and I smoke less. See, I even eat apples now!" – The chief answered as he bit down the red apple in his hand. "I'm glad you're improving your life, chief!" – Owens smiled. There was a silence for a few seconds, only Hoppers chewing was heard. After he gulped down the apple bite, he spoke up. "Why are you here, doc?" "You know why I'm here! Routine check-up, I need to know how she's doing..." – the man tiptoed around the question. "Jane's fine. She's happy with her new home and happy that she has her friends back!" – Hopper spat back feeling himself fire up. He was protective over this girl and he won't let no state's man take her away. "Now, now there's no need to get angry! We both know that I have to ask... Are you keeping your part of the deal?" – Owens asked. "You mean do I still keep her locked up in four walls all day long? Yes I do and I'm not gonna keep doing that. THE DEAL WAS A YEAR, AND IT'S BEEN SIX MONTHS SINCE SHE WAS SUPPOSED TO BE FREE!" – Hopper shouted towards the man and slammed his fist on the desk.

"First of all, lower your tone Hopper..." "NO I'M NOT GONNA LOWER IT DOWN UNTIL YOU TELL ME SHE'S FREE TO BE A NORMAL PERSON!" – He shouted again. "Hopper! We both know that the investigation is still going on. After her statement that he's still alive, the government has been interrogating his partners and we're trying to find him. Until we find him, Jane needs to sit safely in the little cottage of yours and wait for him to be behind bars or potentially dead!" – This answer only made Hopper to let out a huff out of frustration. He taught for a second before he spoke up"Doc, do you have kids?" "Why yes I do! Three actually!" "And how would you feel if you had to keep them in one place? Making them miss out on normal stuff such as going out with friends, going to high school or just simply like going out for fresh air?" – Hopper spat. "How would you feel if you had to lie to them every day? Giving them false hope first than crushing their dreams?" – To this, Sam only looked towards his feet and taught for a reasonable answer that won't heat up the chief even more than he already is. "I promised you that Jane will be a free girl and that's what I'm doing! You just have to be patient and wait for the team to do their job." "Well if your team doesn't finish their job in one month, my mouth won't stay closed like it was this past year and a half!" – and with that Hopper got up and showed the man the door.