Chapter 2: A Flash Of Remembrance (Part 6)

Lucas and Max walked along the oh so famous rail tracks all of them "loved" dearly. It was no secret that the teens were familiar with the forest as the back of their hands. "Will you tell me now why you dragged me out of my room to go look for God knows what shit?" – Max hissed towards the boy that was concentrated on his flashlight and tried to block out her bickering and curiousness, but at the same time he knew that he told her that he would explain everything once they're far away. "We're going to look around the lab!" – Lucas snapped. "The lab?! Are you crazy?" "Let's just say that Mike was right? He was right that his psycho neighbors were suspicious and something's going on at the lab, again." "What do you mean by again?" – The redhead snapped getting more scared as she tried to put up her wall once again. "I was running this morning..." "Why you were running in the morning?" "That's not the topic now Max!" "Well if I'm going to trust you I want to know why you wer..." "Maxine you're getting off track, that's not the point!" – Lucas shouted, startling the girl in front of him. He didn't want her to know his weakness and demons that were inside of him and tried to take over.

"As I was saying; I was running through Mike's neighborhood and as I was passing their house I heard arguing. I stopped and saw the girl and what I suppose her father is argue. He left the room and didn't close the door and the door just slammed itself! BAM! Slammed! He didn't even touch the damn door! She closed it like El did when we met her!" – Lucas explained while making sound effects with his hands that made Max flinch. He was unaware that he hurt her with his previous actions, but decided to not mention it what so ever. "If she can close the door with her mind, it means she's like El and something's going on in that lab!" "It doesn't mean that if she closes the door with her mind she's like Jane! It can be the draft or the house I crooked and the door closes by itself!" – Max tried to find logic in the actions that were taken, but failed to convince Lucas that there wasn't anything to worry about.

"You never know!" – Lucas finished the whole conversation as they continued to walk into the sunset on the rail tracks that lead to the oh so familiar lab. The big fence was still there holding the danger sign. They circled the fence until they got a clear view of the lab. It was getting dark so flashlights were needed. The remaining brown and dead leafs from the previous autumn were still on the ground and made minimal noise as the two teens walked carefully. They tried to see anything out of the normal as they walked around the building. By the time they were in front of the big gate, they let a loud sigh. Max huffed after preparing herself to tell Lucas "I told you so", but Lucas' gaze was still focused on the damned building that stood tall holding all the horror that happened inside of it.

"See, Lucas! It was just a false alarm! There's nothing here, it was just the draft and nothing else. Shit!" – Max exclaimed in frustration as she kicked pebbles on the ground. Lucas didn't reply to the bickering of the fierce redhead, instead he concentrated. Max walked around in circles, mumbling profanities under her breath that were muffled due to her movements. Finally, something caught the boy's attention. He moved closer to the fence and tried to shush Max so he can hear well. Max noticed and huffed again. Lucas heard faint vents running and when he looked up he saw that one of the lights in the rooms of the lab was on. He nudged Max to come over and look for herself. "What the hell are we looking at?" "Look, far left corner! The light is on! It wasn't on before when we went to check it out months ago!" "What's your point?" "The vents are running, as well! Someone's in there and I'm 100% sure about it!" – Lucas finished his point which left Max terrified. "Not this again!" – She taught. Max stared at the light and zoned out. "This can't be happening!" – She didn't want to relive the whole incident that happened before and hoped it was over, but she guessed wrong. She was snapped out of her daze from Lucas that shouted for her to hop on his bike. He had his flashlight on and asked Max to put her on, as well so he can see where he's driving. And like that, the two teens petrified that something's happening rode down the road towards the only person they felt safe with, Hopper!