S h y S h y S h y

YEP, IT'S STILL CONTINUING.

Welcome to part 3, where I go more in depth on my high school experiences so far. (I'm in Year 10)

I have already talked about the two people I met through social media that have made the biggest impacts on me and have made my high school more fun and interesting. So here's this random side story I would like to share because it's hilarious.

s i d e s t o r y t i m e

Last year around Terms 3 and 4 there was this girl I wasn't very familiar with, she was in the homegroup right next to mine. She approached in hopes to start a conversation to which I would reply but not much more. She was always wanting a high five from me, but I never gave it to her. Interestingly enough, this simple thing is what made me create a new friendship. (I don't really account the guy friends I have much because I don't think it's very interesting) 

When I started to create my Wattpad account the first thing that jumped to her mind is "hey, maybe I should pester him about the high five!". So that's exactly what she did! On and off for about 3-4 months she would be waiting for a high-five. I'm glad she doesn't really pester it anymore.

Last year when our homegroups were next to each other, I stood behind the lockers hoping she wouldn't pester me. It's not that I got annoyed, it's just I wanted to keep a running gag. (A running gag, or running joke, is a literary device that takes the form of an amusing joke or a comical reference and appears repeatedly throughout a work of literature or other form of storytelling.) We're still friends, and she knows I'm never going to give her that high five.

back to the real story 

I used to run away a lot when a girl or literally anyone who wasn't my friend tried to talk to me, I don't get it either, I was self-conscious and thought I'd embarrass myself, making a bad impression. Well, running away didn't make a good impression either. It made people think I was that weird kid who was afraid of anyone but it's because he wanted to maintain his ego. 

My friend told me that someone had messaged her and said that they wanted to talk to me but I kept running away. I usually blame it on me being in a rush for the next lesson but that wasn't always applicable. I got used to walking quickly because my friend who is about 5-8 cm taller than me can walk superfast and I was extremely jealous. After a while I got used to walking fast and it made a bad impression. I can admit that the girl who wanted a high five I purposely ran away from, because it was a joke.

So we end this here, at Year 10. The first two weeks I had to adjust to finding new friends because I know that my old ones won't be in the same classes as me because they were in a grade lower. It's all because the absurd move for my school to change a brilliant program as-it-is to a pretty bad one, however this is merely opinionated. I wanted to push to Year 10 despite my friends choosing the latter option, to stay in Year 9 and do extra work. 

I walked in with the impression that I won't find any friends and the girls whom moved up with me are going to sit together and it would be really hard to bond. But on the contrary, I was wrong. There was this one acquaintance of mine whom was in the same friend group as U (stated in part 2), she was that very extra person and bubbly, not to mention smart (like really smart, the best score in the state for an English test smart) the kind of person I would strive to be.

I was so glad she was in my PE class because that meant we had some time to talk and dread the subject together! We became friends very quickly and sometimes I sit with her friends, whom I can consider my friends because I know them very well anyways. I started to talk more casually and it's not really that small talk anymore ("how was your lesson?", "what do we have for homework?"). 

Nowadays I divide about 30% of my time with the friends in the library 40% with my good friend (who I did mention was super tall for someone his age) and his group which is separate from the library nerds. 20% with Vivi and her friends, which leaves the final 10% with super smart English girl who dreads PE and her friends. This is coming a long way from spending 100% of my time in the library last year. 

Which ends my story about starting to break the shell more, personally I think I've broken it, but there's still room to improve, especially eye contact with people. But I'm always working on it. I'm becoming less shy and more confident in the way I talk to people.

This should keep you fed for a few days I think. Thank you for reading about my experiences with my social awkwardness and I hope that you were entertained or possibly relate?

from your aspiring author,

Pho