Chapter 13

Don't hate me at the end of this chapter... it does get emotional ;-; 

~1 week later 

~Nalah's POV 

One week later and we are not making much progress. We had managed to make it to Virginia but we kept coming across vast numbers of hordes and we had all decided to stop travelling for a while, to try and keep hidden and see if the number of walkers died down. Zack came to the conclusion that they were exiting the cities because of the lack of food. We were lucky to still have the VW but we are starting to get low on food, water and medical supplies. 

"I'm hungry." Lucy whined as I tied the laces on my boots. 

"I know you are. We'll try and find an abandoned house and search there, okay?" I asked her. Lucy nodded and I kissed her forehead whilst pulling her into a side hug. I whistled to Zack and he turned his head in my direction. 

"Everything okay?" He asked as he slowly made his way over. 

"When are we going out to look for supplies?" I asked him as I picked out my favourite weapons. 

"A couple of minutes, I think. We're just making final preparations." Zack replied as he started making his way back to where he was. We all gathered around in a circle outside the VW and did a wuick run through of what our plans were for the day. Alex had managed to acquire a map a couple of days ago and it has laid out on the ground. 

"We can drive along this motorway if it's clear and continue heading to California." Rian stated as he pointed to one of the motorways. 

"What about supplies? And fuel?" We're running pretty low on that stuff." Jack said as he wiped his forehead in an attempt to get rid of the sweat droplets forming. 

"There's a nice neighbourhood a kilometre from here. We can look around there." Maggie said as she ran her hand through her hair, scrunching up her face as she did so. 

"If we're lucky enough, the water could still be running but I wouldn't get your hopes up too much." Lauren said. 

"Alright, shall we start moving?" I asked. Everyone murmured in agreement and started gathering up weapons. 

"You know the drill Lucy." I said to her and she nodded. 

"Are you sure you want to come along?" I asked Raven as she got out the VW. 

"Look, I really appreciate your help with my hand. The least I can do is help gather some supplies with you." She said as Alex threw her a gun, which she caught. 

"Okay, if you want to, I won't stop you. Just take it easy on the hand, even though it isn't rejecting the body, it's still not fully healed." I said. Raven nodded and retrieved the correct ammuntion for her gun before acquiring a hunting knife and slamming the VW door shut. 

"Right, everyone ready?" Zack asked as we all gathered together. We all nodded and started making our way to the neighbourhood. 

~Time lapse 

"I don't like this." Lauren stated as we arrived at the neighbourhood. 

"I agree, this doesn't look right." Jack said as we saw that most of the houses look untouched. 

"Maybe this place never got hit by walkers." Maggie said. 

"There are no zekes anywhere, neither can they be heard or smelled, this place is pretty much spotless." Raven replied. We all started making our way into the cul-de-sac and arranged groups. 

"Right, so it's Jack and Lauren, Rian and Maggie, Alex and Raven then myself, Zack and Lucy." I said as we finalised group arrangements. 

"Everything sounds fine." Zack said.