5 - Alec

She was just how I remembered her. Red hair. Purple eyes. Oval face. Pointed chin. Slim body. Oh god. When she hugged me she was freaked out. Did she remember me? Did she...NO! I couldn't think like this. My throat burned like hell. Falling on top of her was the worst versions of hell.  I could smell her all too pure blood pumping though her body. I could smell her citrusy sweet perfume. Her beautiful red hair spilling from her shoulder and fanning out like a mane. Her hair was now shorter but the colour was much richer and much darker. It reminded me all too much of blood. And then there were her eyes. A rich violet that I used to just stare into and lose myself and everything around me. Walking out onto the landing and seeing her wrapped in nothing but a flimsy towel and her slender legs .... too many memories...

"Alec!"

"Jesus!" I cried, "Don't you fucking knock?"

She shook her head and turned around. I quickly changed from a towel into jeans and a loose shirt. Damn her entering when I was thinking, and of course she would instantly know what I was thinking about. Or rather, who.

"Look Alec we need to talk about the elephant in the room..."

"You can turn around," I grumbled collapsing onto my bed.

"Alec! Be serious!"

"I am being serious Maxine," I hissed, "I don't understand why you brought her here f you knew what was going to happen. I can't help what I feel for her. You think I want to keep killing...."

"Alec, I know," she sighed, rubbing her temple, "and I don't care that you are brandishing me as the bad guys, by all means please do but you have to take part of the blame yourself! You got sloppy. You let Dravon get too close. I had to protect her! The three of us agreed..."

"Why didn't you wipe my memory too," he whispered.

"Jesus Alec I had to watch every element of your relationship from Alice point of view I don't need both sides," Max shot, "it's not nice knowing every time you guys tossed the sheets. Besides, you know I can't be the only one knowing the truth."

I hung my head, "I know."

"Do me a favour and come to the beach today," Max said, "I need to take off for a bit anyway."

"You not afraid something will happen?" I laughed half heartedly.

"We both know it would be on your head if it did."

****

I sat in the shade reading my book. What the last three pages where about I couldn't say. I was too busy watching her. Max had her kite to fly, a three metre wingspan in a wind that was slightly too strong was even dragging her around a little. I knew she was fighting the urge to spread her wings, I wondered why she didn't, there wasn't really anyone around. But she wasn't the Her I was the referring to.

Alice walked along the shoreline, her feet being kissed by the incoming surf. Her jeans were rolled half way up her calf, showing off her smooth but pale legs. Her wild hair somewhat tamed in a messy bun at the back of her with a few stray sections blowing gently in the wind. There was a small picture in my back pocket of her. I knew if I pulled it out I wouldn't be able to control myself. I clenched my fist. I wished she didn't resemble it so damn closely.

"Alec?"

I looked up. She was there, in front of me. I swallowed and slowly closed my book. I was still spellbound by her after everything.

"Alec cheer up!" Alice giggled, "It's just you and me! No Max! No nothing."

She kissed me quickly before walking out to the balcony. The small shirt barely covering her body. Sleeves rolled up to the elbow. She turned back to me and smiled. She reached out her hand to me. My heart lifted.