21 - Alec

"Ray! What the hell man!" I shouted at my oldest friend, "you don't seen me for three hundred years and now.... Ray what's wrong."

The speech and rage I had prepared in my head simmered away at the sight of him. Ray was the same age as me with natural white hair and bright pink eyes he was wearing his usual all black but I knew something was off. He hadn't got the long speech about how the should go on a hunt again like the good old days. His eyes darted nervously, is body tense with one hand twitching.

"I'm sorry Alec," Ray chocked, "They made me."

"Ray?"

"Hello Alec."

My stomach sank. The voice chilled me to the bone, I knew it too well. Nobody should know that voice well. A figure walked around Ray. He was dressed spotless black suit and a blood red shirt. His black hair was tied in a pony tail at the back head, the sides shaved completely. His eyes struck fear into my heart. They were completely black. Unblinking and fixed on me.

"Dravon," I breathed.

"How are you young Alec?" Dravon purred.

"Cut the crap. This obviously isn't a social call. You hate being in the open," I hissed.

"Tsk. Tsk. Alec, Alec, Alec. I know for a fact that your parents raised you better," Dravon replied, "But you're right, this isn't a social call. I'm here to talk about your family."

"I'm not waiting around to hear what I have already," I said turning to leave, "I can't help that I was born..."

"Alice looked gorgeous in her wedding dress."

I slowly turned around. My breathing uncontrollably heavy, "What did you say?"

"Alice," Dravon said slowly, "The Angel you're fucking and now married to. She did look gorgeous in her dress."

Dravon flashed a picture at me. It was our wedding photo. My jaw tightened. I sprinted towards Dravon. My hands were almost around Dravon's throat when Dravon's hand reached out and grabbed my throat. He squeezed to ensure he had my attention, cutting off my oxygen supply to the minimum to keep me conscious. Ray had long since escaped Dravon's clutches.

"Now Alec, really, I just wanted to talk," Dravon told me.

"I...don't...want...to...listen," I gasped.

Dravon smashed my head down onto the concrete. It cracked under my head. I didn't even register the pain. Dravon didn't blink. His face creased and I felt myself weaken in terror. No one had spoken back to him unless they had a death wish. Nor had anyone ever married an Angel.

"I can't do to you and your little whore what I've done to other arseholes because of your fucking marriage but believe me when I say I will find another way." I coughed, gasping for breath as Dravon spoke, "But don't worry I won't do it now. Just wait until you've had your precious baby. If the whore and your bastard child both live, you can then watch them slowly die. Then I'm not going to give you the sweet release of death. Oh no. Instead I will let you live in a hole for the rest of your miserable life with as much food and blood as you need just so you can remember and visualise the brutal death of your family and think where the hell you went wrong."

"How...do...you...know...she's...not...a...vampire?" I breathed.

"Don't pretend I'm stupid Alec. Manipulation isn't your thing," Dravon replied, "I've been watching you two for sometime but never quite caught up to you before you nearly killed her. Rather doing my job for me, hm."

"You...will...never...get...close...to...my...family!" I hissed.

"Just watch!" Dravon replied.

Dravon's hand tightened around my neck and, for a horrible moment, I thought Dravon was going to snap my neck. I felt his eyelids closing and darkness consuming me when....nothing. I coughed, gasping for breath. Dravon was nowhere to be seen but a dangerous presence lingered in the air. I rolled onto my knees, with my forearms supporting me, while I coughed and caught my breath. Next to me was our wedding picture, gold blood smeared across the crumpled image. The smell of the angelic blood filling my nose. Oh fuck. He wouldn't?

Gotta....get...to Alice...

I forced myself to stand up. I took a few steps before falling on my knees again.

Get up!

I forced myself up once again. I stumbled, each time forcing myself up before I was finally able to walk. Walking turned to jogging. Soon, I was able race at full capacity. I couldn't get home to Alice fast enough. I need to protect her, he wasn't going to touch her again. But more than that, I wanted to kiss her, touch her, feel her heart pumping. I needed her to remind me of what little was left alive of myself.

****

"Alec? Are you..."

My lips crashed onto Alice's in need. I needed a reminder that everything was normal again and we were safe at the moment. We were all safe. I held her head and kissed her with a fiery passion. Alice harshly pulled away and slapped me. I didn't feel it but I knew she had hurt her hand by the way she winced.

"You can not just kiss me like that!" She hissed, "What the hell happened? Who the hell did you see?"

"I'm sorry," I replied, avoiding her question. I took her hand in his and kissed her palm, "I shouldn't have done that. I'm sorry."

"What happened?" She persisted.

I sighed, sinking into the sofa. I didn't want to lie to her, "Dravon. I saw Dravon."

"Oh God!" She said cupping my cheeks, "Did he hurt you?"

"He threatened me. Us really," I sighed.

"What did he say?" Alice asked.

I diverted my gaze but Alice picked up my chin. She kissed me reassuringly then held her forehead against mine. I held her head in one hand. Fear and anger still filled me at the thoughts which Dravon had planned.

I sighed, "He said he is going to wait to see if you survive giving birth to the..." I couldn't say it,  "and if you do he'd kill both but leave me alive as an example. Leave me to relive you dying for eternity..."

I trailed off and diverted my gaze again. The thought of anything happening to my family killed me inside. The thought was unbearable. I loved Alice so much that I couldn't live without her. I worshipped the ground that she walked on. I hated the danger I had put her in now. She touched my cheek and I looked back up sat her.

"I won't let that happen!" She comforted.

"How can you stop it?" I asked.

"I don't know but we can run and survive!" She encouraged, "We won't bow to a stupid feud between ur rulers."

"Dravon has been after us for years....."

"And has never caught us!" She reminded, "That's got to mean something."

I hung my head again and saw her stomach. She had yet to start to grow. I placed my hand over the stomach. It was still to early to hear a heart beat. Never-the-less, I knelt down in front of her and kissed her flat stomach. She moaned quietly as I did so. She knelt down opposite me and they just stared at each other.

I wanted to believe we could fight this and win. But the reality was we couldn't. This was bigger than two people. We had never been caught by Dravon because I nearly killed Alice before he could get to her, and that's the only reason we survived. But I couldn't do that again. It was too late as he had found us. And now I had a third one to think about. I had endangered a third life. She wrapped her arm around my head, kissing the top reassuringly. I knew she was finally grasping the danger we were in. I just felt numb inside.