27 - Alec

"You have gotta be fucking kidding me!" Max thundered, "How the hell did they find us?"

"How many is all?" I demanded, "What are we dealing with?"

"Eight," Curtis replied.

"We can deal with eight..."

"Eight fully trained and almost immortal angels," Lucifer cut in, "Angels that have lived longer than them have died against one. Our best bet is to give them the bodies and prey to my father then don't..."

"Bodies?" I asked, "What does that mean?"

"Alec..."

"He is probably referring to the children Curtis had removed," Max announced.

"On who's authority because it certainly wasn't mine and I doubt Alice has been saying much," I thundered. I could feel my anger consuming me. If I wasn't careful someone was gonna get hurt and right now I didn't care who.

"I decided it because if there was a chance they could survive on their..."

I gripped Curtis by the throat, slamming him into the floor and squeezing. Lucifer's arm shot out and gripped my upper arm. My head snapped to him, I could feel my eyes blazing as I hissed at him, baring fangs like a dog.

"You are gonna need all the muscle you can get if you want to win this fight," he warned, "Because I doubt you are gonna give over the bodies of your wife and children."

A second later his hand was bare and Curtis sucked in the oxygen lustfully. I was leaning on my bed, the sudden adrenaline wearing off and the rigorous movement was once again causing dizziness, my eyes blurring. I grimaced, blinking rapidly to clear my vision. Max stood by my side silently.

"I want to see them."

I imagine Lucifer gave Curtis a look not to test me right now. Instead I was led to an empty room apart from two cribs and two heart rate monitors. One was beeping, barely registrable and very infrequently while the other was silent. I swallowed and walked to stand between the two cribs. Inside each was a baby, they were identical. Small and barely developed. Blue in the face. One had a fresh cut along its face from the jaw to the bridge of the nose likely from a hasty and botched c-section. The wound was open but bled nothing. I reached into both cribs and stroked their cheeks. Their skin was incredibly soft and had a thin soft fuzz like a peach. I couldn't feel their heat regardless of whether they were alive or not but humans were right. The feeling of your child, their skin touch yours, knowing they are your creation - your flesh and blood - was the most beautiful thing in the world.

I smelt Doctor Inda before he spoke, "We don't know what the heart rate means in this situation." His voice was stuttered, "Neither have been responsive. Your daughter has no heart rate whatsoever which could mean she is a vampire like you or...." he trailed off, "The cut on her face bled a little at first then almost immediately stopped which could mean the same as the heart rate."

I bit my lip as I allowed my finger to touch the cut on her face. I almost wanted to vomit, "I have a daughter."

"And a son," The doctor continued, "His heart has remained in this low infrequent but steady rate since he was born."

"You mean since he was cut out," I croaked, my attention now focused on my son, "Fucking hell. I have kids."

"They are both in heat cribs to simulate Alice's body temperature before..."

"Don't say it," I whispered, "I don't want to hear it."

Max walked around slowly. I could sense her walking a wide circle around me. No one, not even myself could predict my next move so, rightly so, they treated me like an animal. I didn't raise my eyes from looking at my children as she slowly walked to stand in front of me. She hesitated for a moment before placing her hands over mine. I swallowed. I wanted to resist her but I knew that I couldn't as she slowly pulled my hands out the cribs and held them in her own. I felt my lip falter as she pulled me in for a hug. I just felt numb. I suppose if I were a man I would be crying. But vampires have no tears.