28 - Alec

Her head snapped to look at me. She rolled her shoulders, arching her back to expand her frame. Her skin was still tinted blue from the death like state. A snarling growl rose from within her and I could see her baring her teeth. Her fangs.

"Alice," I whispered again, half panicked now, "It ok. You are safe. You need to calm..."

She launched herself onto me. I raised my arms to protect my face as she scratched and bite at my skin, wanting to get at my neck. The sudden change from the sober woman who was going to kill herself to this one who was more animal than human stung my heart. This was worse than if I had lost her. My instincts wanted to attack, make her submit but I couldn't. She was still my wife.

"Alice. For fuck sake it's me. It's Alec your husband!"

For a moment nothing happened. I was preparing to fight back as a particularly deep bite came. But she stopped. Her pupils became less dilated and slowly the purple that I loved so much returned. I could see recognition in her eyes, followed by the horror. She stopped biting my arm. She was back. My Alice. My wife. It that moment, tired and relieved, I forgot everything and pulled her lips onto mine. For once she didn't shiver, but she responded wildly as she grasped the collar of my top with her fists and pulled my body closer. As I rose to sit, she locked her legs around me, wanting nothing to come between us. Her breath on my skin, movement in her body.....god this was the best feeling I had experience. I wanted so much more time with her, but she pulled away.

"I'm sorry, I don't know what came over me. I couldn't control..."

"Alice it's ok," I whispered, brushing her hair behind her ear, "What's important right now is you. How do you feel?"

She shrugged, "Different. Stronger. Hungry. Like really fucking hungry."

"Here."

I was relieved to see Doctor Inda had survived, though he looked like hell. The wounds had started to heal but his face was still bleeding heavily from a deep scratch by his eye and what looked like a gouge in his cheek. From the looks of his clothes, there were plenty more. Instead her passed Alice a styrofoam cup with a paper lid straw. She drunk from it, like a man saved from a desert. The crimson liquid confirmed all out suspicions. I heard Isla gasp, I knew she couldn't help it. The transformation had been successful.

"Never in my life did I think I would witness a successful transformation," Inda gasped.

"What?" Alice questioned, "What's happened?"

I stood up and say Alice on the bed. I crouched in front of her like she was a child, "I had to change you."

"What?" She laughed, "Am I a vampire or something?"

I swallowed, "Yes."

"No!" She cried, "You said you would never change me. I can't be a vampire. I'm me I..."

"Alice. Alice please," Isla begged, "Listen to Alec."

"I don't even know you. How dare you..."

"Alice you are a vampire. We watched you drink nearly three pints of blood just now. Feel my skin," she slowly put her hand on mine, "Do I feel cold to you anymore?" Her jaw tensed and she shook her head. Her eyes closed and she looked away, "No no no no. Alice look at me. Look at me. I had to change you to save your life. You asked me to do it before, remember. I couldn't let you die without at least trying."

"Do you still love me now I'm a vampire?" She mumbled.

"Jesus do you really have to ask me that?" I breathed, "Of course I love you. I love you with everything I have and everything I am." I kissed her again. "I would love you even if you were a troll."