28.2 Gate 10- Hunt High and Low

A slight door creaking sound jerked me into awareness. It was dark inside but the moonlight penetrating inside through the windows was enough to see who and what had disturbed me. Nazira jumped hurriedly into the hut, went out to peek and jumped back again, finally shutting the door. I batted my eyes several times, frowning and biting my cheeks to control my laughter. Her brows were netted and face scrunched, she scratched her head vigorously looking rather confused.

Still controlling my laughter, I walked ahead slowly towards her. I came out of darkness, yet she didn't find me standing near her. She was trying to peek out once again when I tapped on her shoulder that at once startled her.

"What are we doing?" I asked, holding my laughter.

She widened her eyes and said, "You told me we are the only two people living in this universe."

"Correct. And I still stick to my words."

"No, there are two other people outside."

I blinked, mulling over what she was trying to say but my brain was too dizzy. It must have taken a long vacation. "Nazira, have you been..."

"I wasn't dreaming," she said, feeling stressed, "I swear to the deity, there are people outside. Real humans- a man and a woman with two hands and two legs and faces as normal as ours, wearing neat foreign dresses, nothing is weird about them and that is what I find so weird these days. And they are," she paused to breathe or to find a right word before she finished saying, "busy."

"Doing what?" I asked.

"Er..." she dropped her eyes, her face getting slightly flushed, "stuff."

I set my jaw straight, gaping at her for a while. Seriously, I wasn't in any position to handle this confusion right now. I just wanted to go back to sleep or atleast have a nice meaningful chat with her that I have been planning for so long.

"You know what," I said, taking her hand, "Seeing is believing."

"No! Wait! I don't want to come."

She kept requesting, sounding insecure, preventing herself from walking outside with me. But I didn't care. Whatever she was talking about I needed to get a clarification as quickly as I could. I kept dragging her by her wrist, taking long wide steps for which she had to trot to match my speed. The gigantic moon was right up ahead, it was as if I was going to barge right into it.

We reached the free land and two silhouettes came into picture. That forced me to give a sudden halt. I widened my eyes. Nazira was right, she wasn't dreaming after all. It was a woman in a red knee length latin dancewear dress and high pointed heels. The tall man, in a matching satin shirt, striped trousers, and ballroom shoes looked extremely sophisticated. The most embarrassing part was the position they were in- intimate and bold, glued tightly together as if in a verge of eating each other faces up.

Feeling heavily terrible for my impolite behavior with her, I turned slowly towards her. As guessed she was glaring up at me, her eyes threatening to explode me away. I bit my tongue and said, "Okay, awkward."

"I thought you can hear my voice," she said, sounding extremely shrill.

"I honestly didn't understand what you were trying to say."

"I told you they were busy!"

Although I knew her answer, just to push away the awkwardness I asked, "Doing what?"

"Stuff!" she replied immediately.

Now at this moment, I was unable to control myself. I burst out laughing, so hard that I presumed my voice reverberated throughout the realm. Although, the two lovebirds were still immersed in their business. Nazira scowled, arching her brow and turned around facing the hut. Watching her getting angry, I tried to gather myself and made her turn to look at me holding her shoulders.