32.1 Gate 12- Fight Fire with Fire

"Forgot your promise already, kid?"

"I didn't go through so much just to see you repeating their mistakes. You are my final hope and I've started to have faith in you. Do not disappoint me!"

This great pounding, the elevated beat, I was hearing it clear and loud in my ears.

My heart seemed to be in the middle of a marathon, reminiscing the conscious memories. Having a good night of sleep for hours had failed to provide me with a relief from the growing tension. I was absolutely overwhelmed by this pressure building up.

I remained standing at the threshold, leaned against the door, breathing in the cool and crisp breeze. If I were standing elsewhere, this favourable weather would have made me feel wholesome and relaxed. But the day before's unexpected event and the one about to commence was making my insides squirm with nervousness.

The two separate emotions, two impressions - the feeling of deep affection upon the one and this unavoidable bitter enmity developed towards the other -I might have hardly ever had acquainted with this combustion. This amalgamated feelings was truly bizarre.

After all this time, how I was to brazenly deny this uneasy truth. They both belonged to me, they both were mine. No matter how widely divergent my views upon each of them were...I sighed and ran my fingers through my hair. It was strange to need them this way.

The slight creak opening of the bedroom door, followed by a low moaning sound pulled me out of my ruminations. Slowly and nervously, I turned around. A coy smile involuntarily spread on my face watching her walk out. Now that I almost had worked up the courage to go for it, I focused to warm my heart remembering the mode of expression she had used the day before. Gazing at her playfully, I closed the entrance door shut. She leisurely strolled straight towards the chair having her hands over her forehead and face slightly grimaced.

"Good Morning," I said, infusing my voice with confidence.

"Oh," she groaned. She rubbed her temples vigorously and threw herself in the chair. "My head is bursting."

"Sure it is," I said, looking down at her almond-shaped brown eyes that were still quite struggling to cope with the daylight.

I sunk down on my knees beside the table and fixed her a glass of hot chocolate. "This was what you were supposed to drink last evening," I said, pushing the glass towards her.

"What happened last evening?" she asked, her voice in my brain sounded quivering.

I bit insides of my cheek to keep my face straight. "What do you mean?"

"I was supposed to sleep in the chair," she said, raising her eyebrows, "How did I end up in the bedroom? I don't even remember going inside by myself. What happened? Do you know anything?"

"Have a breather," I said, handing her the glass looking pointedly at it, "This might help you remember what you have done yesterday."

She smiled weakly, lowering her lashes. She blew gently in her glass and took a few sips. Her eyes kept staring down, forehead creased-she was trying too hard to recollect. Momentarily, she bent her head a little aside, noticing the chunks of glass pieces that I had stacked underneath the table last night.

"Did I drink...is that why my head...I did say something, didn't I?" she stuttered, batting her eyes and her voice turning peculiarly throaty. She began breathing heavily and gazed at me intently. I figured her eyes were widening, as though each and every detail gradually were returning to her.

"About what, precisely?" I asked, feeling my heart beginning to drum.

"About us."

She gasped loudly in severe embarrassment slamming the glass on the table. We both stood up hurriedly and instead of getting closer as I was hoping her to, she took a step back to maintain the distance.