22.2 Gate 7- Neither Hide nor Hair

The ground beneath my feet shook, creating vibration extending to thunder. For once I guessed if it was Pruthvi tearing both the universes apart to get in here and punch me right on my jaw for making his sister cry. The ground next to me cracked open and it was the twins, collectively called Meena who made an entry.

"Hayden Mackay! It's rude to shout at girls," said the boy... male child...Constellia...whatever."

The two stood in front, glaring straight up at me as if throwing daggers towards the sky. They were draped in a white frock made of feathers looking like the scale of a fish. Both of their faces were round with a pointy forehead, looking almost alike, except the girl was having a slight feminine feature. Their stature-short and petite and they hardly even reached my knees.

"Bad boy, Hayden Mackay!" The girl commented shaking her tiny finger. "You made your girlfriend cry."

I clenched my jaw in irritation. Seriously, if I was allowed to kick them, they would be rolling away like a soccer ball.

And then my eyes dropped down more, watching their feet that were actually floating over the grassy ground.

"Hey, did you just come out from there?" I asked staring pointedly at the cracked open ground.

"Yes," said the boy, giving a single nod, "We are fishes and we swim beneath the ground."

"How fascinating!" I said although none of it sounded surprising anymore. I cleared my throat and turned aside, wiping my eyes and forehead, and finally forced to keep all of my attention on the challenge.

"So, what do I have to do?" I asked. The sooner I finished this, the sooner I could get back to her.

"We just watched you playing," said the girl, "Now play with us too."

"Er, the word game."

"No, no, no!" said the boy, shaking his head, "Let's play hide and seek."

I rubbed my nape, not that it was slightly paining for having my head completely bent down. Hide and seek? What a mess? So technically they were going to hide underground, as they had just mentioned. Or wait a second, am I the 'it' in this game?

"Explain the rules please," I asked.

"Easy," said the girl, "We hide, you seek."

Alight, that clear things up.

"I need to find both of you?" I asked.

"If you find one of us," said the boy, "let's see if the Gates open. If they don't, find the other."

I frowned at his unconvincing reply. "Haven't you played this game before?" I asked, grimacing my face.

"Of course, only with the first. He was...eh..not good."

"What do you mean?" I asked, pressing and cracking my neck.

"He did win the game, but...in the following year of the Fest. The gates opened as soon as he found one of us....her."

The girl promptly stuck out her tongue at her brother.

"What the hell!" I cried, as his words hit me like a lightning bolt, "He stayed in this realm for two years!"

"Yup! He must be having nothing between his ears," said the girl, "it's actually an easy game."

"I seriously doubt that," I whispered catching up for my breath, "Okay, so are you going to hide underground?"

"Nope, we will be above the ground as per the rules. But the funny part is, as soon as the game starts- boom- no sunlight."

I blinked. "Excuse me?"