Chapter 7

I lounged back against the tree trunk, stretching my legs out in front of me, then drew my knees to my chest, wrapping my arms around them. Surprisingly, the tree branch was wide and long enough to support the both of us.

"So?" I asked, waiting for Luke's answer.

"Hold on." He said. He reached up with one arm to search for something among the leaves and branches above his head.

"Here." Luke threw me a sandwich as he brought a picnic basket down to us, using both arms to support it from the bottom. I looked down and stared at the sandwich. Was he planning to get me up here tonight? What was in the sandwich? Worms? He did that when we were little. Crap, did he put drugs in it or something? I looked up from the sandwich to see Luke roll his eyes.

" I'm not trying to kill you or anything. It's just a peanut butter and nutella sandwich, your favorite." I eyes him suspiciously, but the thought of nutella was too tempting to resist. I took a bite out of the sandwich, chewing slowly to see if he put anything dangerous in it.

Sweet heavens!

Yup, he added the mini marshmallows.

I closed my eyes and moaned in satisfaction. To me, chocolate was sheer pleasure. If I ever had sex, I'm sure it wouldn't feel anything like the smooth richness in my mouth right now.

"Oh god." I heard Luke choke out. I opened my eyes and glanced at him. He was sitting there with an untouched sandwich and a strained face.

"What's wrong?" I asked. He shook his head and started mumbling as he took a bite out of his sandwich. I just shrugged and finished off my sandwich, licking the remnants of peanut butter and nutella off the tips of my fingers. He handed m a napkin to wipe my fingers off.

"Okay, if you're not gonna tell me, I'm wasting my time here." I stated bluntly. He sighed, then stuck his hand in the basket.

"Want something to drink?" I nodded, and he tossed a Sprite at me. Unfortunately, bad and embarrassing things always seem to happen to me when he's around, so when I caught it, it slipped up out of my hands, popped me in the fore head, and fell into my lap.

"Ugh... Damn it, that hurt!" I groaned, rubbing the sore spot on my fore head. I heard a snort, then quiet chuckling from Luke. Oh, shut up.

"Are you okay?" He asked. I nodded, but he moved closer to me, taking my hand away from my head with his. "Let me see." I tilted my head up and let him examine my head. He touched the sore spot a little to hard, and I hissed out a breath, whacking his hand away. "Sorry." He muttered, then examined the spot again, using feather light care on the spot. I brushed his hand away, but he caught it with his own. I looked up, but wasn't able to look away from his face. He looked like an fallen angel, intense blue eyes and black hair framing his face. He stared right back at me, almost as ensnared as I was.

"Luke." His name was a breath of whispered air as he slowly leaned in. I closed my eyes and leaned forward, my heart pounding in fear while anticipating for what was about to happen at the same time.

But, as karma seems to always remind me, life isn't fair.

"Ouch!" He had bumped into my glasses, which dug into the bridge of my nose, causing me to wince in pain. We jerked away from each other simultaneously, breathing hard.

I took in a shaky breath. Oh my god, what was I thinking?

"Okay, tell me who killed my parents so I can leave."  I said, hoping my voice didn't waver. Luke sighed and raked his hand through his hair in frustration.

At first, all I could hear was our breathing calm. Then a name escaped from his mouth.

"Leon."

I stiffened in shock. No, it's not possible.

"No. No, it can't be. You were there. You SAW." I said, now starting to panic.

"Amy, calm down." He said, trying to comfort me, but I wouldn't be quieted.

"No, he's dead. You saw. I saw. Alpha Rick killed him." I breathed out.

"No, he didn't. We thought he did. My dad and the rest of us didn't stay to see him burned." He said, his face now as hard as stone. Alpha Rick was his father. He was in charge of our pack, to protect us from enemies looking to steal out territory. Leon Rivers, an alpha of a pack from the south, was looking to kill Alpha Rick and take our territory by force, but we caught him and left him with fatal injuries.

"You know what, I have to go." I mumbled, then started climbing my way down the tree, shocked from the news that Luke just told me. I was suddenly aware of my surroundings when I felt a sharp pain in my butt. I hadn't even realized when my foot slipped and I slid down the trunk, landing on my butt. I slowly stood and brushed myself off, then started walking to the direction of my apartment.

"Wait up!" I heard Luke call from behind me, then I spun around and waited for him to catch up. We fell into step together as we made our way to my apartment. We walked in silence until we walked out of the woods and right below my window, which was left open. I was just about to start climbing until Luke grabbed my arm.

"Do you have any plans tomorrow?" He mumbled. My anger flared. After all he had done to me, he still expected me to hang out with him?

"Yes. I have a date." I stated coldly, then shook my arm from his grasp. I grasped the edge of my windowsill and tried to start climbing, but Luke pulled me back down. He turned me around and pushed me so that my back was against the wall, his hands on the wall besides my head. his face held no expression, but his eyes displayed a flame that I've never seen before in all my years of knowing him.

"One day, you'll know all of my thoughts and feelings. You'll look at me without disgust and loathing in your eyes. You won't want any other guy by your side." He held my face with his hands, gently tilting my head up towards his face. "You'll look at me the same way I secretly look at you." He whispered. My breath hitched, and he released me, walking back into the dark shadows of the woods, disappearing.

My knees weakened, and I slid slowly to the floor, staring at the spot where he disappeared.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey guys!

Sorry I haven't updated for such a long time... I have a summer job that I go to work and I help at an animal shelter every Saturday, so every day at 3 pm, I come home, take a nap, wake up at 6 pm, prepare and eat dinner, take a shower, brush my teeth, study school notes, then conk out. I'll be uploading another chapter after this one. ^.^

Also, what do you think about this story? I want to enter it into the Watty Award for 2012, but I don't know.... Please give me your input!

- Candy Bubbles ( pen name I just came up with ;D)

Vote!

Comment!

Kisses! XOXO <3