chapter 22

"Where's she at?" Ryan asked his old nanny.

She knew who he meant, but she really didn't want to spill the beans.

"She went to the library. You said you didn't wanna lay eyes on her and-"

"That's enough," he snapped, cutting her off. "Get some shut-eye, Elizabeth. You've got a lot on your plate when my mom shows up."

"Sure thing," she nodded, scurrying away while wiping her hands on her filthy apron. It needed a good scrub before the Mistress arrived.

Ryan made his way to the library as Elizabeth had said. He opened the door.

Kylie was there, nose buried in yet another book. He closed the door behind him and approached her. She heard his footsteps and glanced up.

"R-ryan."

"You weren't in the balcony." He said simply

"Oh. I'm sorry. I got carried away." She  stood up, closing the book and setting it down the table next to her chair.

Without realizing it, he snapped, "put it back where you got it from."

Kylie winced at his harsh tone and quickly grabbed the book, rushing to place it back on the shelf. She muttered a quiet "sorry."

Ryan crossed his arms, his expression stern.
"My mom doesn't approve of you."

She lowered her head, her face paling at his words. He couldn't help but wonder if he was being too cruel. Does she really deserve this?

"Well, she does. After what happened to my sister, my mom was never the same. She doesn't think Kylie deserves any better."

"I'm sorry," she whispered.

"I want you to stay away from her. She doesn't need constant reminders of her past."

She nodded in response.

"In two weeks, I'm divorcing you. Then you can go to your other home."

Her lip quivered, and she blinked rapidly to hold back her tears.

"Alright."

He felt anger and frustration towards her, overwhelmed with a sense of relief. He despised how easily he could hurt her. Why didn't she smirk and glare at him like she did on the press day? Why were his words affecting her so deeply? Wasn't she supposed to be cruel and heartless?

"After that, you can burn in hell for all I care," he scowled.

This time, she wrapped her arms around herself and let the tears flow. She felt incredibly alone and unloved. Ever since her parents' death, she had never experienced anyone's love.

She had daydreamed about marriage, imagining a man who would come into her life and love her like no other. Someone who would care for her and bring happiness into their lives. So happy.

She hadn't felt true happiness in a long time.

Rubbing the hilts of her wrists against her eyes, she didn't look up at him. Instead, she gathered the broken pieces of her heart and walked out the door. Her knees trembled, and her legs felt weak. She made her way straight to the balcony.

She kept telling herself one thing, over and over again.

"It's alright. He deserves to be angry. It's alright."

She didn't understand why she tried to justify his actions when all he did was make her cry every day.

********

In the middle of the night, Ryan woke up and went to the balcony, only to realize that Kylie wasn't there. He quickly put on his slippers and quietly left the room. Ryan headed straight to the kitchen, where he noticed the lights were on. To his surprise, he found Kylie sitting alone.

"Don't take my things," he said, causing her to immediately stand up from the chair upon hearing his voice.

I will never steal from you. She said quietly

"Good then."

KYLIE P.O.V
       In the middle of the night, I woke up and went to the balcony, expecting to find Ryan there. But he wasn't. Confused, I put on my slippers and quietly left the room. As I made my way to the kitchen, I noticed the lights were on. To my surprise, there was Ryan, sitting alone.

"Don't take my things," he said, causing me to immediately stand up from the chair upon hearing his voice.

*******
She fiddled with the edge of her sleeve, not looking up at him. She waited for him to move away and go back upstairs to his room, but she was surprised when he kept standing there. After what felt like hours, she glanced up at him with confusion in her eyes.

He wasn't looking at her. There was a distant look in his eyes as he stared out into the darkness of the night.

"A penny for your thoughts," she gently asked, unable to resist. She wondered why he was so silent. It was rare to see him like this when she was around.

He snapped out of his daze, looking down at her as if he was shocked she was still there. "What?"

Suddenly feeling unsure, she shook her head. "Never mind. Would you like anything before I go to bed?"

"Tea," he simply answered and walked out of the kitchen.

Kylie watched him leave and let out a small sigh before heading over to the kitchen. She turned on the gas to boil some water. After 4 minutes, she finished everything and picked up a tea cup, washing it before pouring in the hot tea.

She had learned that Ryan didn't like his tea warm; he liked it hot with just a small drop of sugar. Once it was ready, she put away the things, cleaned up the counter where she had spilled a bit, and turned off the kitchen light. She made her way upstairs as quietly as possible.

Don't forget to vote and comment