Chapter Three

At 4:45 there was a knock on the door. Who could possibly be here? Maybe it was Rylee or Emily.

I ran to the door and opened it.

Ethan Dolan was standing there. Not who I was expecting.

"Ethan it's only 4:45. What are you doing here?" I asked.

"I'm really nervous. And I didn't wanna be late. So... I'm here." He said.

"I can see that. Uh, you wanna come in?" I asked.

He nodded and walked into the house. I shut the door and we walked to the couch.

"I'm really nervous." He said. He was taking deep breaths. "What if she doesn't like me?"

"If she doesn't like you then who cares? There are tons of pretty, smart girls in our grade. Ashley's only one." I said sitting down next to him.

"You're one." He claimed.

"I'm not that pretty or smart. So.. You wouldn't want me." I said tucking a peice of stray hair behind my ear.

"You are pretty and you are smart. Who wouldn't want you?" He asked.

"Lots of people." I said.

"Oh yeah? Name five."

"I can name more than five. I could name a hundred."

"Don't put yourself down like that. From what I see you're an amazing person."

"You don't even know me."

"Then help me to."

I looked into his eyes. They were turning green.

"Why?" I asked. "It's not like it's important."

"It could be." He shrugged.

"Fine. My name is Remi Marie Adams. I'm eighteen years old. My favorite color is yellow. My favorite food is spaghetti. And I like Dolphins. There." I blurted.

"Why is your favorite color yellow?" He asked.

"Cause it's happy. And I need to feel more happy I guess." I said. "I don't really know."

"You're sad?" He asked.

"I have anxiety and I get depressed sometimes. So I get sad sometimes I guess." I said.

"I feel that way sometimes too." He explained.

"Oh." I said.

He touched my shoulder and I flinched.

"I'm sorry. Did I hurt you?" He asked.

"No I just get scared when people touch me unexpectedly sometimes." I said.

"Oh. Sorry. You don't talk a lot do you?" He asked.

"I guess not." I said.

"Why are you so shy?" He asked.

"Cause. I get scared." I whispered.

"There's nothing to be scared of Remi. It's just me. I will never hurt you." He said.

"I just get scared. Even if you won't hurt me I'll always be afraid." I said looking away from his intimidating face. 

"I'm sorry." He said. 

"It's okay. It's not your fault." I shrugged my shoulders. "So... Where are you taking Ashley for your date?" 

"I don't know yet. I was just gonna take her out to eat, but that seems so basic. I don't even know what she likes. Why would she say yes? I barely know her! I don't know what to do!" He put his large hands over his face.