candy wrappers

finn's p.o.v.

the sunlight splashes through the living room window, draping the cabin in morning light.
my wet bathing suit hangs over the deck railing out front, sopping in lake water from last night's swim.

nick is asleep on the sofa, a beer bottle on the floor and his mouth half open.

our mother nudges him lightly with her arm and when he doesn't awaken she hits him over the head with a pool noodle.

"get your lazy ass up." mum says, placing both hands on her hips.

i laugh watching my older brother roll off the couch with a nervous look on his face.

"we're going into town today, remember?"

nick groans. "shit. i totally forgot."

mum nods. "shit is right. be in the car in ten minutes or i'm leaving without you."

i smirk, crossing my arms and leaning against the wall. as nick passes he flips me off, hurrying to change his clothes.

i follow my mother out to the car.

she raises her arms to the sky, stretching, and turns to face me.

"are you sure you don't want to come?" she asks. "you could go visit that boy you met last summer, what was his name...?"

"chosen."

she smiles. "ah yes, chosen. what a nice name. he was such a gentleman."

i nod, watching as the apatow's drive by up on the main road.
"yes i'm sure."

"suit yourself." she looks up at the sky. "it seems like a nice day to go canoeing, maybe you could pull out the old paddles and go for a ride?"

"maybe later."

nick comes jogging out of the cabin, change jingling in his pockets.
"i'm ready...i'm ready. don't leave without me." he huffs, opening the passenger side door.

mum gives me a quick hug before joining him in the car and starting the engine.

the familiar rumble of the car moving over gravel comes next and i wave goodbye as the drive off to town.

seeing as they'll be gone all day, i fumble with deciding how i am to spend my summer afternoon.

-

i stir together the ingredients, licking off the spoon as i place the tray of unbaked cookies into the oven.
they're chocolate chip, millie's favorite.

i set the timer and leave it sitting on the table.

i slump down on the couch, flipping through an old fishing magazine that belonged to my father. my fingers trace his little handwritten notes that are scrawled throughout the pages.

my father and i weren't the closest, i always thought he favoured nick.
but damn, i miss him more and more every day.

i sniffle, a salty tear rolling down my cheek; wiping it away with the back of my hand.

there's a knock at the door. "hello, finn?"