youth

finn's p.o.v.

"if you don't jump in i won't think twice on pushing you." millie laughs as i dip my foot into the chilly lake.

i look behind myself with pleading eyes at millie who glares; hands on hips. my eyes fall to our mothers. the two friends sit in deck chairs; coffee in hand.

mum meets my gaze and shrugs, a smug smile across her sunkissed cheeks.

i open my mouth to protest when millie comes running at me; pushing me off the dock with full force.

i'm immersed in the cold water and when i come back up for air my mother's laughter travels across the lake.

i spit the water out of my mouth and watch mrs. brown tilt her head to the sky laughing along with mum.

life has still been tense since the incident with nick and my awful decisions, but mum has been better, things are better.

millie dives in; splashing me as her body glides into the lake.

she comes up in front of me, grinning.

"i'll get you back for that."
i warn.

she shakes her head.
"i'd like to see you try."

i cup her face with my hands but before i kiss her, i pull back, aware of my mother watching us.

millie pouts, water dripping down her face.

i swim farther from the dock and float up on my back, letting the soft waves move my body and slowly drift me to shore.

the morning light kisses my face with it's soft rays.

millie swims to shore and hoists herself onto the dock, grabbing a towel and sticking her tongue out at me as she dries her short hair.

i swim myself in, climbing onto shore.
"could you toss me a towel?"
i ask.

millie laughs.
"come get it loser."

"fine."

i walk over and grab my towel, turning to millie.

her eyes widen in realization of what is about to happen.

i shake my head, spewing water from my soaked hair, in all directions.

"finn!" my mum shouts. "stop that!"

i sigh.

"listen to your mother finn."
millie giggles.

i roll my eyes.
"oh shut up."

-

we run up the steps of my cabin, still dripping wet and hang our towels over the deck railing.

millie changes in the bathroom and i head for my bedroom.

once i'm done i wait for her by the shed where our bikes lay on the ground.