12: SUBJECT BITES LOWER LIP AFTER TELLING A LIE

"Fav colour?" I ask, popping a purple skittle into my mouth.

Cole and I got bored after watching two movies so we decided to play twenty questions.

"Blue and grey" he answers. I raise an eyebrow, "really, I pegged you as a black fan"

He rolls his eyes, "please, don't tell me you think I'm a bad boy too"

I frown, "no, I was going along the lines of you wear black a lot."

He shrugs, "whatever, what's yours, oh wait no, lemme guess, pink?"

"Omg, there is nothing wrong with liking pink, I hate the fact that everyone stereotypes pink with being girly, it's a colour, boys can like pink too, it's a free world and everyone should be free to like what colour they want regardless of gender, I mean seriously, nobody throws a fit when girls like blue but once a guy likes pink he's gay, like that makes no sense, besides, what do colours have to do with gender? Like why are baby boy clothes blue and the girls have pink? What happened to the other colours in the spectrum? Every colour deserves a chance-"

I shut up the second I realise I'm rambling. Cole is staring at me, amused and I feel my cheeks burn, "I'm sorry, pink, purple and white"

"Hey" I look up to see him smiling at me, "you're cute when you ramble"

He reaches over to take the bag of skittles from my lap like he didn't just set my face on fire.

"Favourite animal?" he asks.

"Dogs" I answer without hesitation, "especially puppies" I add.

He nods, "ever had one?"

I nod, "I had one once, her name was Minnie, Tyler and I found her one day, back when we weren't so well to do. We found her wandering all alone without a collar and she was so adorable, we took her home and nobody claimed her so she was ours"

"Where's she?"

I reach over to grab the almost half empty bag of skittles from his lap, sending him a glare to which he replies with his 

"Real mature, she died" I say simply.

"She got really sick but mother dearest refused to waste any of her meagre salary on 'a rotten flea house'" I sigh, "she died a few weeks later, barely a year old"

I don't notice the tear rolling down my face until Cole reaches forward and wipes it way with his thumb, "I'm sorry" he whispers.

I shake my head, smiling up at him, "it's fine, it was a long time ago"

"My turn" I chirp and he nods for me to continue, "weird habits?"

He thinks for a while, biting his lip a little, "I like to smell my food before eating" he finally answers.

I wrinkle my nose, "I know I know, some people find it rude but I can't help it, if it smells good then I'll know it tastes good besides, I do it discreetly, you didn't see me sniff your pancakes did you?" he shrugs.

I just roll my eyes, a small smile on my face, "your turn"

"what are your weird habits?" he doesn't miss a beat.

I shrug, already anticipating the question, "I sleep with all the lights in the house on"

"Why? I can't sleep with a single light on" Cole asks me, surprised.

I shrug again, "it's a big house and mostly empty especially when Marie goes home, it gets scary and lonely"

There's silence and I look up to see Cole trying and failing to hide his sympathetic expression.