23: THAT'S CHRISTMAS TO ME

Dedicated to @iam_oddie ...I'm so sorry for the late update 🤧💖

COLE'S POV

I grab her wrist before she can open the car. She turns to me, eyes wide and glassy.

"Princess, where are you going?"

She looks down at her feet playing with her fingers like she does when she's nervous or anxious. "Nothing... I mean.. Nowhere" she sighs and her voice falls into a whisper, "I shouldn't be here"

I frown and place a finger under her chin, raising her head up so her eyes meet mine. They're sad, brimming with tears waiting to be shed.

"Princess" I whisper, "What's wrong?"

She bites her lip and breaks eye contact again "It's Christmas" her voice is small, breaking, "We're supposed to be a happy family"

Something clenches in my chest and I instinctively pull her to me. She stiffens at first and then slowly wraps her arms around me, grabbing fistfuls of my sweater.

I gently stroke her hair as I feel her body shake against me, "It's okay princess, everything will be okay" I hate seeing her sad, she's usually perky and loud and temperamental, her sadness is rare and unsettling.

She suddenly pulls away, her hands falling to her sides, still bunched into fists, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have come, I should go"

I grab her fist, unraveling her fingers and slipping mine in between the spaces. I like how they fit.

"You're not going anywhere" I smile, "Spend Christmas with us"

Her eyes widen and meet mine again, "N-no I couldn't, I'd be intruding, you're supposed to spend time with your f-family, I'd be so rude to intrude like that it wouldn't be fair to-"

I clamp hand over her mouth, effectively shutting her up. I smile at the feel of her lips against my palm.

"Shut up" my smile widens when she finds it in her to shoot me a glare. I take my hand away from her face, already missing the warmth of her lips "and spend Christmas with us. I insist"

Her gaze softens and she exhales, "Would that really be okay?" she asks.

I smile and grab her hand, she grabs the bag she dropped and let's me lead her into the house.

"Bella!" Riley screams and hurls herself at Bella.

She catches Riley with surprising ease, giggling softly, "Hi sweetheart, Merry Christmas"

Riley tightly wraps herself round Bella, "Mewwy Chwistmas"

I'm in the middle of detaching my sister from my friend when mom comes in from the kitchen, "I thought I heard your voice, Merry Christmas dear"

Bella smiles shyly, "Merry Christmas Gabby, I hope you don't mind me being here"

Mom waves dismissively, setting the tray of cookies down and pulling Bella into a hug "Of course not dear" she pulls back and leads her to sit on the couch, "We were just about to start watching Christmas movies"