Chapter 15

Our moment of pure bliss was short, but then again that's why they're called moments. When I watched Chase's plane leave the terminal down the strip, I didn't cry. I was finally at peace with this. I knew he was coming back and I knew I had very little to worry about. He was going to be okay. I was going to be okay. Mrs. Taylor rubbed my back comfortingly as I stood there with my arms crossed, gazing out into the concrete landing strips as Chase's plane takes off. You'd think it'd be even harder for me now that we're married, but if anything it made it easier. Now I had a guarantee that he was coming back for me. 

Minutes after his plane took off, I still stood there, staring at the sky as if I was searching for him. 

"I think it's time to go home, Sweetpea." Mrs. Taylor says. I give her a soft smile and nod my head. The walk back to the parking lot felt like it was a lot longer going back than it was coming in. The walking belts felt like they were going slower, like people with suitcases were taking their time rather than rushing to their terminal in time. The parking lot seemed emptier, and the car ride more silent. That's the funny thing about silence. We choose to keep quiet rather than talk about what just happened, even if it was a happy situation. It's like we communicate threw silence, like every shift in the seat means yes, ever stare out the window means no, and every moment of eye contact threw the review mirror is really a smile. I stared out the window the whole time, watching as cars and buildings, and soon the familiar trees and farms passed by in a blur. I wasn't thinking about Chase, or the ceremony, or my family. I was thinking about how more put together my life felt. I felt like I had security now, like everything was just super glued back together. When we finally pulled into the gravel drive way of the Taylor's house, I thanked them for everything today and hugged them the same way I did at my parents' funeral: long and emotionally. I walked the path that I had shown Chase only a couple weeks before, keeping my soft smile on my lips and my hands in the pockets of my denim jacket. 

I watched the sunset as I walked over the flattened grass, my boots kicking a few pebbles as I walked. In the distance, I heard Lady neigh in the pasture. She was alone, grazing peacefully. I changed my route from the house to the pasture, and made my way threw the gate that Chase helped me fix only a few days into his visit here. My mare slowly approached me and started nodding her head at me, indicating she wanted attention. 

"What are you doin', Pretty Girl? Huh?" I asked as I stroked her snout and ears. I moved my hands to her neck and rubbed some grass off of her and made my to her side to do the same. When I had my hands on her ribs, she moved closer to me abruptly. "You wanna go for a ride?" I asked her sweetly. As if saying yes, she counted with her front hoof three times. I smiled at her and grabbed onto her mane, hoisting myself onto her bare back. It was times like these that were perfect for bare back riding. Just a calm ride into the meadow at sunset. I guided my mare out of the gate and through the woods to my escape. I didn't make her run or trot, I just let her walk at her own pace. The meadow was quiet, except for the chorus of crickets and the light show of fireflies that dotted the air. Chase would've loved this. I stayed out there for a few minutes before decided it was time to go back home. 

I put Lady back in her stall and gave all the horses some apples to snack on before heading back in the house, the back porch light on. I smiled as I approached the steps were Chase proclaimed his love for me after telling me he was leaving. What was once a bitter memory was now a sweet one. I guess my sister and cousin heard my boots on the steps because as soon as I opened the door, they ran right into me and trapped my in their arms. 

"CONGRATULATIONS!" they shout at the same time. I laugh as the pin my arms to my body with theirs. When they finally released me from their hold, Daisy punched me in the arm. 

"Hey! What was that for?" I asked, rubbing the spot on my arm that she hit. 

"That's for getting married without me there." she said, a little offended. "I thought we had a deal that we were going to be each other's bridesmaids!" she shouts.