【iii. second chance】

Maahi stirred out of deep sleep, feeling sloppy kisses up her shoulder. She could smell the alcohol on him even before she opened her eyes. "Hmm." She grumbled and tried to shift from her side to her back. She peeked through one eye to check the time on the digital clock. 2:04.

The trail of pecks continued from one shoulder to another. She slightly pushed, "You're drunk, Sonu. Go to sleep."

She pulled at the blanket to cover her shoulders, only for him to tug them back. "Babe, I want more." Hearing the slurred words, she actually woke up. Sleep disappeared as she opened her eyes and sat up on her elbows.

More?

"Were you with her again?"

"You don't tell me who I should hang out with." He snapped, coming to hover over her with his knees at either of her sides, trapping her under him.

"You promised you wouldn't see her again!" She exclaimed, pushing him. It simply angered him. He pinned her hands over, roughly smashing them against the bed frame. She winced, a jolt of pain starting to appear with the stoppage of blood flow due to the tight grasp around her wrists.

"Bitch, shut up. You should be glad. You know, she never could satisfy me the way you can." Towards the end, he returned to his drunk state and started to kiss down her neck.

She struggled to free herself and sit up against his weight. His reflexes were diminished due to the number of drink he had, but he was still heavier than her. Her senses went on alert when his free hand traveled up her thigh. Her night dress had bunched up around her waist during the struggle as it was. The second she heard the sound of zipper, she used all her energy to push him off her and lunged away from him. Quickly getting on her feet, she tried to leave the room.

He grabbed her to pull her back, her forehead fell back against the dresser. The shattering mirror easily cut her, but she wasn't giving in. She grabbed the first thing her hands could reach and used it to hit him back. His hands left her to clutch his head before he dropped on the floor. She stayed rooted on spot for a few seconds, the frightening feeling overwhelming her. She stared at him, and eventually saw his chest rising and falling.

He was unconscious.

She dropped the cylindrical object that was a part of storing jewelry to the floor. The clattering sound caused her to blink. She looked around the room in a rush. She grabbed her car keys and left the apartment in a rush. She was not going to stay around for him to wake up, even though it was her apartment.

Sitting in the car seat, with trembling hands, she stuck the keys in ignition. Absent-mindedly, she drove to the only place in town which was her safe haven. She could always feel comfortable there, no matter what.

༺༻ ༺༻༺༻

After a rush of doorbell ringing repeatedly for about half a minute, it opened. Nikita stopped rubbing her eyes when they fell on Maahi and the state she was standing in front of her. "Maahi?!" She said her name, utterly confused and shocked to see her bleeding down the side of her face.

A voice behind her questioned with obvious irritation in the tone at being woken up so rudely. "Nicky, who the hell visits you at two in the morning?"

"Parth, sorry. Go back to sleep. I got this." Nikita answered, covering Maahi by standing in front of her so he wouldn't see her in that state. It was Nikita's condo that she lived in with her husband, Blake. Blake could sleep through anything, but Parth, who was only visiting, had woken up.

Maahi, alas, stepped out from behind Nikita. She saw he was half-turned, ready to go back to bed. "No, wait. He can stay."

Nikita looked at Maahi, worried. Parth, on the other hand, felt a mixed array of emotions seeing her after three years, that too in this state. The night dress she was dressed in was ripped from the shoulder. The trail of blood went from the gash at the forehead down her cheek. She wasn't wearing shoes. Her eyes were puffed up, swollen.