【 ix. over coffee 】

A little over a week had passed by staying in this situation. Often times, Maahi came back after work to find Sonu had done something or the other. A gift. Cooking dinner. Bouquet of orchids. Chocolates. Planning a movie night. It was obvious for Maahi that he was desperate, and none of these were his ideas. Sanjana must have told him what to do, and perhaps even exactly what to say.

She was tired of hearing his apologies. She didn't know how else to make it obvious to him that she wasn't interested in his apologies. It had been a year too late for that.

Taking the box of chocolates that he had left on the dining table, she thrust it towards Sanjana's stomach, "Here you go. I think these are your favorites, not mines." Maahi hated dark chocolate, and if Sonu knew her even a little bit, he would have known that.

Sanjana asked, "Are you blind or can you not see he is trying? All he is asking for is a second chance to make amends."

Maahi sighed finding it sad that she had to explain even the obvious, "I can see that. It just doesn't mean anything to me anymore."

"What kind of a wife are you to put him through that?"

Maahi snapped back, "What kind of a husband was he to put me through that? Anyway, who the heck are you to come and lecture me? It's my life. I'll do whatever the hell I want. You go tell him to stop all this nonsense because it's not going to make a dime's worth of a difference."

Parth had been making coffee in the kitchen when she came in for water. He hadn't overheard her quick argument with Sanjana but seeing her expression, he gauged her mood. "Didn't like the chocolates, I take it?" He added sugar to his coffee mug.

"He seriously needs to stop." Maahi answered and then took a sip. Seeing the coffee, she asked, "Before I pull out a bottle of wine, mind if I take that?"

She felt the need to have somethings stronger than water, and she figured caffeine was a better option than alcohol.

For his answer, he pushed the mug in her direction. Then, he opened the cabinet to take out another mug. He proceeded to get another coffee sampler when she spoke. "Mmm." He turned and once she'd gulped it down her throat, she informed, "Strong. Don't bother making a new one. I just need a sip or two."

"Sure?" He questioned, "I don't mind making another." She nodded in confirmation, and passed it back to him. Neither paid much attention to fact that they were both drinking from the same mug. Taking it, he leaned back against the counter and asked, "How was your day?"

"Same as any other day." She answered curtly, "Back to back appointments. Yours?"

"I met a few clients who want me to look into some of their cases." He answered, passing the mug to see if she wanted more.

She wasn't going to say no to coffee. She took it and reveled the feeling of warm liquid trickle down her throat, "That's good, right?"

"If I take it on, I'd have to stay in town more than I had planned. So, we'll see." He informed, retrieving the mug back from her.

She realized and stood on the balance of her feet instead of leaning back on the counter, "You were only here for the weekend. Parth, I'm so sorry for being such an inconvenience. I didn't even bother to think you could have your own things to do."

"It's no bother, Maahi. Anything for friends." He answered, putting her mind to ease. He offered more coffee, but she denied this time.

"No, thanks. If I have any more, I won't sleep tonight." After leaning back on the counter and placing her hands behind on the counter at either of her sides, she said the question out loud. "So... we're friends?"