【 xii. toxic roses 】

Maahi informed the office manager, "Kristen, I'm going out for lunch today since I don't have the Tyler's coming in today."

Kristen nodded, "Sure thing. Enjoy your lunch."

Maahi smiled and wished her the same before leaving. The people she worked with knew she was getting divorced. If anything, they were supportive and Kristen was glad that instead of staying in for lunch like she often would, she was starting to go out and was taking the divorce in a positive manner rather than drowning under the stigmas related to it.

Walking into the small shop, she found Parth already there. She walked up to the table and sat across from him. He looked up from the file he was reading and smiled at her, "Hey." He greeted closing the file so he could give her his undivided attention.

"Hi," She answered, feeling giddy for the first time in a long time while also noticing the small gesture. When was the last time Sonu might have given her all of his attention? Almost never. She cleared his throat, reminding herself it was in the past and not something she needed to mull over. "Did you order anything?"

He shook his head, "No, I was waiting for you." He glanced back at the counter, and a server walked over. As she had been here before, she didn't have to look at the menu. They each ordered their choice of sandwich and coffee. "Arjun is coming back. He did say he found something, but that we should look at it when he gets here. He didn't want to email it."

Maahi asked apprehensively, "That's a good thing, right?"

He nodded, "I think so. But you know what, never mind that." He reached forward to take her hand in his. "We're here to talk about us."

"Right," She pressed a smile on her lips to appear confident when the truth was, she was a nervous mess at the pit of her stomach. Her heart was beating on an overdrive. "So... what about us?"

He cleared his throat after a quick deep breath. He wasn't sure if he wanted the answer to his question but it was still one he needed to ask, "First, I want to understand why you kissed me. At the wedding, you said it didn't mean anything, but when I said the same in court, you asked me if it really didn't mean anything."

She looked away at their hands instead of into his eyes, feeling guilty. "I didn't mean that. I said what I had to at the time because I had to leave." She finally glanced up so he would know she meant it this time, "I know, it was wrong, but it's not like I could have asked you to wait for me to get back. We barely knew each other for a day."

He did understand that, but it felt nice to hear her indirectly admit that it did mean something to her as well. That it wasn't just him.

She asked one question of her own, "Why did you keep giving me reasons to back out yesterday?"

"I would have understood if you wanted to."

"Yes, but why did you think I would want to? I told you before I kissed you that it wasn't going to be a mistake or accident."

"You're still not divorced, Maahi." He explained what he thought could be obvious, "If you don't want to go straight into another relationship, I'm not going to hold it against you."

The waitress returned with their order. After she left, Maahi asked, "It has to be a relationship?"

He smiled as he understood she did not want to rush into anything, "Anything you want; we don't have to label anything, but I do want to get to know you. Yes... eventually, I'd like for that. I knew that before, and now. You're the kind of girl that I would definitely want more with, Maahi. Back then, I didn't get that chance. I'm definitely asking for that this time."