【 vi. first hearing 】

Bailiff announced the arrival of the judge and his name. Everyone stood until the judge entered and took a seat.

Judge Rollins announced after tapping the gavel, "Let the hearing begin. Prosecutor, make your case."

Parth stood up and buttoned his suit as he took a step towards the center, "Your Honor, Mr. Singh assaulted my client and attempted to rape her. He has a pattern of assault when he loses his temper. My client has filed for divorce, but we have the impression that that case will go to court as well. Until then, we ask for a restraining order for my client's protection."

"What does the defendant have to say?"

Sanjana argued, "Your Honor, asking for a restraining order is ridiculous and the prosecutor is merely wasting the courts time."

Judge instructed. "I will decide whether or not my time is being wasted, counselor. Please present the facts of the case."

Sanjana abided, "Um, the accusations are untrue. Mr. Singh was simply drunk at the time of the alleged assault. He came home and went to simply hug his wife when she pushed him away and started getting aggressive. My client was only trying to talk to her when she hit him with an object so hard that he fell unconscious."

Parth objected, "Your Honor, we are not here to hear who hit whom in what order. My client is afraid of him. She is simply looking towards the law of this country to protect herself against a man whose anger gets the best of him. If anything, she was the one who was cut with her head smashing against the mirror and a sprained wrist."

"Counselors, save the arguments for the divorce hearings. Seeing the injuries on Ms. Kaur's body and the police report from the night, I am granting the restraining order. Mr. Singh, you are to follow this and stay 1000 yards away from Ms. Kaur."

Sonu started to object, trying to put on a victim act. "Your Honor, we live together. How am I supposed to talk to my wife and sort out our misunderstandings to save our marriage if I am to stay 1000 yards from her?"

"Find a hotel, Mr. Singh. If you want to talk to your wife, it can happen during the depositions and preliminary hearings for your divorce when both your lawyers are present. Until then, the restraining order remains in effect." She banged the gavel to announce the matter closed, "Bailiff, next case."

The hearing was wrapped up within a matter of ten minutes. Parth turned to face Maahi and blinked at her to relax.

First battle was won.

༺༻ ༺༻༺༻

Parth loosened his tie once they were seated in the car. He turned up the air on full speed. Maahi put on the seatbelt and asked, "Could you drop me at the hospital? I have a few patients today."

Surprised, he asked, "You're going to work?"

"I can't quit my job just because I'm getting a divorce, you know?" She found it in herself to start joking and teasing about it but just as the words came out of her mouth, she wondered if it was too soon.

Just, winning this restraining order had given her a hope that Parth would follow through with his promises.

He expressed while turning over the engine, "I thought you'd take a few days off."

She shook her head, "No, doing nothing over the weekend was horrible enough. It'll help to go to work and keep myself busy."

She didn't want any more of those empty thoughts in her head due to having nothing to do throughout the day. She already knew that ruminating over negative thoughts was harmful in both short-term and long-term. She refused to go into depression because of Sonu. So, she chose to keep herself distracted as best as possible to move in.