Twelve

One Month Later.
It has been about a month since Clara moved in to her a new apartment and surprisingly things have been going good. Lauren was shocked by how complient Clara was with the dialysis, she truly thought her mom would be more hard headed about it but she wasn't.

"Babe are you ready to go to your moms?" Normani asked.

Lauren nods as she grabs her bag "yeah but I don't know how much fun I'll be. I have a paper due Friday." She informed. Normani giggles as she wraps her arms around Lauren's neck. "And that's why you're taking me with you. I can keep your mom company while you work on your paper." She says. Lauren giggles and kissed her cheek. "What would I do without you?" She asked. Normani shrugs "who knows."

Arriving at her mom's apartment Lauren saw Zendaya setting Clara up for her dialysis. "Lauren, Normani I'm so glad you're here." Clara said when she saw them. Lauren nods "I mean I did make a promise to keep you company though all of this." She said, a small smile gracing her lips. Clara couldn't help but feel happy that her daughter was here spending time with her. She knows that she hasn't been the best mother but she's trying now. She really is.

"So what homework do you have today?" She asked.

Lauren huffs "I have to do a paper for English. It's ten thousand words, so I don't know how much fun I'll be today." She explains. Clara nods "oh well that's ok. I'll just talk to Normani." She said happily. Lauren doesn't know why but she was really happy that her mother liked Normani. This made her wanting a more serious relationship with Normani a lot more easier.

---X---

As she was working on her paper Lauren often took a few short breaks to listen to her mother and Normani's conversation. It was just so interesting to her how open with her mother Normani was. How did she do it?

"Was it hard for you to leave home?"

Normani shook her head "no and that's only because my mom and I talk almost every week." She said with a small giggle. Clara nodded "did Lauren take art?"

Normani froze at the question because she remembered the story Lauren told her and how Clara did like her artistic side, but they found that box of Lauren's old drawings and art supplies so she's really confused right now.

"Uh yeah she did. It was the one corse that Lauren was excited about." She answered honestly.

Clara smiles "I'm glad. Lauren always did have a talent for art." She said softly. Normani could hear the sincerity in Clara's voice as she spoke. "Is that why you kept her old drawings?" She asked softly. Clara nods "yeah. Looking at her old pictures they always make me think of my late husband. He always did love art." She said.

"If you don't mind me asking, how did you lose him?" Normani asked carefully.

Clara frowned as she thought about her husband's death. "He was a cop and he was killed on duty by a prison escapee that him and the rest of his team were trying to catch. Unfortunately he got to them first and took my husband's life." She said tearfully.

Normani heart broken as she listened to Clara's story about losing her husband. Her and Lauren might not be officially together yet but she would go crazy if she lost the girl. She couldn't even imagine the pain she would feel if she lost Lauren. It was too much to bear.

---X---

It was half past five when Lauren finished she paper and her mom just finished up dialysis so she decided that it would be a good idea to have a movie night.

"Mija are you sure about this?" Clara asked softly.

Lauren nods "yeah. I mean my class isn't until noon tomorrow so I don't have to rush home." She said. "Yeah and mine was cancelled because my teacher went into labor today." Normani added. Clara smiled at the girls "fine let's do it."