Airplane, Agust D, Joke 1

J-Hope's Point of View

I have loved flying since I was young. One day I even ran away from home for a bit. I was playing outside, running with my arms out like wings and staring at the sky, pretending I was really flying. Mom called me for lunch, but as I ran to the house I happened to look at the forest behind our house.

One of the trees was really tall, so tall it seemed to pierce the sky. I saw birds fly out of it. Everything I saw fly came out of trees. Maybe that was why I couldn't fly; I had never tried starting from a tree before.

I ran past the house, yelling that I wasn't hungry yet and would be back later to my mom. I kept my eyes on the tree as I ran through the forest. The sun was high overhead, filtering through the leaves and dappling the world below the leaves with patches of shadow and light. I was quickly lost, but I would be able to see everything once I was flying.

I made it to the tree. It was huge, the trunk thicker than I was. I grabbed onto the lowest branch and pulled myself up into the tree. I climbed higher and higher. I was really young and light, so I was able to get really high, almost to the very top of the tree.

I looked around, finding my house like a white building block dropped at the edge of the forest. I looked to the ground. I was scared for a second as I saw how far away the ground was. But then more birds took flight, and I smiled. I was in the tree now, so I could fly too.

I stood up on the thin branch. I had stopped on one that was hardly thicker than my red and white sneakers. I spread my arms and jumped from the tree, expecting fully to fly. My eyes had closed against the wind. I opened them and saw the ground rushing at me. I panicked at screamed as I broke through the canopy of a tree half as tall as the one I had jumped from.

I heard a crack as I collided with a thick branch. I screamed and passed out as I hit another branch.

Mom found me, broken and bloody, on the forest floor. I didn't wake up for a long time. Mom says I missed my birthday and most of summer, but I only remembered the wonderful dreams I had of flying.

Most people would completely hate heights and the very idea of the sky after something like that. Not me. I was still obsessed with flight after that. Maybe even moreso than I had been before. I like to think that the tree incident only helped me to love flight more. Otherwise, why would I take so many flights just to see the ground so far below.

I had gone to Japan for a day before coming back once, having more fun on the plane than I did in Japan. The nerves I had felt that first flight came back everytime I flew in the airplane. That first real flight from the tree was what had really launched my dream to fly.

It was what had made now, as I was sitting in another airport waiting for my flight to be announced for departure. I was sitting in a red leather chair with white arms. It was next to a long wall window, the sunset splashing the clouds with vibrant colors. My silver car was sitting in the parking lot where I would come back to it in about a day or so.

I looked at the tv in the waiting area. News flashed across it, two news segments caught my eye. The first one was about the kidnapping of an underground rapper named Agust D. He had pale blond hair and dark eyebrows, so it was probably bleached. The picture they showed of him had a white shirt under a dark black jacket. He had multiple gold chains around his neck with some little things hanging from the longest. He had two silver hoops next to each other in his left ear one in the right. There was a gold ring on his right middle finger that looked a bit like a picture of the sun and two gold bracelets on the same hand. He looked very successful, which explained why he had been kidnapped.

The other news segment was about another rapper, this one named Rap Monster, RM for short. He had been taken to a mental institute after being arrested for destruction of property and diagnosed with psychosis. He swore on his life that he didn't mean to burn the store down, he was just trying to get rid of a spider. There had been accounts of him talking to himself as he walked in the store, and they chalked it up to psychosis as some of his family members had had psychosis as well.

I had missed my flight by the time I turned my attention back to my surroundings. I sighed and stood up, pulling the thick white jacket I had over my white t-shirt closer as it had gotten cold. I turned up the fluffy collar and huddled my face into it as much as I could. I wished I had black pants on instead of white ones so they would soak up the sun better. The only thing I had on that wasn't white was my tan boots.

My curly brown hair was warm from the sun as I walked back to the silver car. It was dark and getting darker. The sun wouldn't be out much longer. I climbed into the car and rolled the window down while I waited for the car to heat up. I pulled my old pocket watch out, the dull iron glinting in the light from the light poles in the parking lot. I looked at the time and sighed, dropping my left arm out the window and letting the watch swing in the gentle breeze. I watched the loose chain curl around itself. I pulled my arm back into the car and rolled up the window, driving back to my house.