Two Weeks Notice

Chapter 7: Two Weeks’ Notice

Sand, dirt, the occasional road kill and trees. So far that’s what Texas has been. Just a lot of open land, pretty, but not all that exciting. But in the meantime I’ve managed to string the rat teeth on to the chain of an old necklace I forgot I had in my bag. It looks pretty good but I’ll futz with it later. Unclasping the chain I slip it on then lock it again. Dom laughs next to me and I roll my eyes. “What?”

“Do you feel pretty?” He teases and I sigh.

“I worked my but off to kill those stupid rats so why not show it off. I’m now Mia Barone the Rat Killer. Bow down.”

“Ha ha.” We don’t talk for a while. He focuses on the road in front of him and I just stare out the window looking at the sand and occasional shrubbery. It’s beautiful in its own way but unnerving. It’s huge. It looks like it goes on forever. It makes you feel small. Logan is out there somewhere I just need to find him. If he was alive all this time why didn’t he come home? Why would he stay away it makes no sense. Unless he was captured, but what monster would keep him alive this long without offing him.  But then why wouldn’t Hades get him back himself. He’s a god and doesn’t have many boundaries. What wasn’t I seeing?

Obviously I was in the dark and hades was holding all the cards. Which is a major problem. Annabeth filled me in on camp history when I was new. I know that hades fought in the battle of Olympus and now thanks to that communications between hades and the other gods is an option. But it’s not really all that friendly. Hades only did things to benefit himself. He was using me to get what he wanted. He wanted Logan but why? “You okay, you’ve got your thinking face on.”

“I have a thinking face?”

“Yep and it’s only developed recently.” He says not bothering to take his eyes off the road. I turn my head and look in the back. Connor, Cleo and Nico are fast asleep.

“Well I guess I’ve had a lot on my mind. You know, with everything going on its hard not to get lost in thought.” He nods. “We’re being used Dom and it’s driving me crazy.”

“Hades.”

“He wants us to find Logan and it’s not so he can give him a fatherly hug. Something really bad is going on here and he’s using us to do his dirty work. He’s screwing with us and how he was the spitting image of Logan….he wanted to hurt me. Why else would he do that?”

“What is he playing at?” he mutters.

“I don’t know and that’s what’s driving me nuts. I feel like its right in front of me but I just…just can’t figure out how. What’s he planning?”

“We’ll figure it out.” He puts a hand on my shoulder squeezing it once before letting go.

“I hope so.”

“Where do you think he’s been all this time?” he asks and I can hear the accusation in his voice.

“Don’t go there.”

“Mia.”

“He was protecting us, everyone thought he died to protect us.”

“I know but obviously he’s alive, where has he been? What has he been doing this whole time?”

“Maybe he was captured.”

Maybe, Mia?”

“I don’t know what happened so I’m not going to pretend I do. But I know Logan he’s my friend. He may not have been necessary friendly but he wouldn’t….change sides’ okay. It’s not who he was.”