#10 Locked in the Past

"Morning Julien" the familiar thick French accented voice travels into his ears, vibrating delicate eardrums.

Julien rubs his eyes, the curtains drawn to let the sunlight in. Seems familiar? Maybe. But this, wasn't in the present it seemed.

This? This was 2001.

And that French accented voice? Julien's mother.

It feels, odd. It was as if he was looking back in time, his older more dated body, stood there. But it seemed transparent. He was on the opposite side of the room. It was almost unreal. Those fiction books seemingly turning into reality. An older self, looking at the past.

He followed the young Julien, eating breakfast before being sent off to a school bus. The all too familiar routine more than a decade ago. It was just a normal day, or so it seems, older Julien thought. The school day seemed normal. But it was about to radically change.

That night, amidst playing about his toy trains and aeroplanes, something caught his eye. Something, that kept repeating itself through the night.

"Devastation, destruction, people fleeing, panic, chaos, rubble, twin towers, planes" It all suddenly made perfect sense. This exact day, was

September 11th 2001.

9/11.

Julien would never forget that day, and with good reason. Watching repeated clips of the terror spawning in what seemed like amazing tall buildings surrounded by smoke, it resonated with him. But he didn't know why.

"Daddy, can I be a policeman when I grow up?" Young Julien pulls his father's jeans. "I want to nab the baddies"

Suddenly, in this weirded out world that defied the laws of entropy, the time distorted. In a flash, he disappeared and reappeared. This time, it seemed to be a completely different time. Young Julien wasn't so young anymore. The calendar read "January 6th 2008".

Young Julien was now 18.

They were at the dinner table, discussing about Julien's future. "Mum I'm joining the police force. I'm adamant." the slightly higher pitched Julien said.

Time, again, distorted itself in this world automatically. The older Julien appeared again, this time in the fields of France it seems. It seems like younger Julien was at rifle training. "Hit!" A spotter beside him yelled. Julien can never forget this moment he accomplished.

"Corporal Julien did you know what you just did? That was amazing" A young lieutenant walked up to him. Apparently, Julien hit 10 out of 10 shots on a 100 meter target. With iron sights. It made older Julien smile, remembering his early police days. But he also noticed something odd. Julien seemed mesmerised with the young lieutenant.

"Oh?" The older Julien reacted, grinning. He probably didn't know what he did back then.

As quick as the time came, it distorted yet again. This time it was way more familiar. It was the bench meeting. Julien's first ever time meeting Doc. He could see Doc staring at himself running away, his eyes filled with joy. This out of the body feeling started to feel very weird for some odd reason.

Time distorted for a final time it seems, this time, in a skyscrapper. There were bodies everywhere. Realisation struck Julien.

"Am I... Dead?" He quavered, looking at his wobbling blueish hue transparent hands.

A/N: hey! I hoped you liked this chapter! I really enjoyed writing it😄
PS: the timeline actually matches Rook's official birthday so there's that.