Chapter 22: New Boss

"I thought you said you didn't want friends."

"If I'm gonna be working with her I might as well make rainbows and butterflies with her instead of knives and daggers. Keeps my temper at a low," I say while locking up the office. I hear Emma's orange pumpkin of a car pudder away and give her a friendly wave. I look back up at Dylan who had a dorky toothy grin on his face.

"You know it's weird seeing you're mouth shaped like a banana instead of a parallel line," I say. He frowns," Atleast I don't look angry all the time."

"Yea you do, and sad and paranoid and stressed, shall I go on?" I playfully half tease. He rolls his eyes and forms his famous paranoid and stress look. The sound of smashed rocks gets louder and Norma rolls around the corner like a freaking ninja on steroids.

"Hey Melissa can you set up a room right now," she asks in a hurry. 

"Uh it's like almost midnight, so no." She shoots me daggers and snatches the keys from my hands and opens the door while rushing in like a bat out of hell. Dylan and I exchange worried and confused glances. "What's going on Norma," Dylan asks.

"Sherrif Romero needs a room right now," her words stunble together.

"Okay so why the urgency," I look around and see the sheriffs truck already parked and pulled in with Romero walking towards us. Wait thats the cop that I saw at the deck the night that I blacked out. Okay this is so not good, if he recognizes me he might freaking out me infront of Norma.

"Can you please hurry up Norma," he asks. A sudden rush of adrenalin pumps through me and I begin to sweat. I'm trying not to let it show, but unfortionatly failing because I looked over at Dylan and his eyes are also as wide as mine. Romero looks at me and squints his eyes, shit shit shit!

"Have i seen you from somewhere," he asks.

"Uh I dont think so," I say avoiding eye contact which is the worst thing to do when you're lying.

"No I think I have....you were that girl that I caught at the deck a few weeks ago. Why are you here and not home?" I still stay silent and cant muster up any type of excuse or words. Norma walks back over to us with a key and with a sense of wonder lingering in her eyes.

"You two met," Norma chimes in. The sherrifs and Normas eyes dart in beween Dylan and I awaiting for an awnser.

"You Dylans girlfriend or something," the sheriff ask. My eyes immidently widen and feel heat rise in my cheeks. Seriously? I shoot a look at Dylan and he is completly calm, not even fazed.

"Yea she is and she also works here, but I was just here to take her out," he smoothly says with ease as if it were true. Now it was Normas turn to look surprised. This situation couldnt be getting anymore awkward.

"C'mon Melissa lets go," Dylan grabs my arm and pulls me away from one of the most awkward and slightly nerve racking confrontations I have had here. We get to his truck which is a good distance away and start to drive. We are on the road for about 30 minutes and we pull up to the boathouse.

"What're we doing here," I ask while climbing out of his truck.

"Since Gil is dead it's been crazy around here and no one is following any type of orders."

"And I suppose you've been mom keeping the the wheels spinning," I tease. The thought of Dylan being the big honcho of this operation, taking control is kind of funny. To me he's just an overly stressed dude with a bunch of family problems. But I guess to a stranger on the street he's the guy you don't cross paths with.

We get inside and everyone is doing there job, packaging, trimming, and the occassional chatter. In the center of the room a man with snow white hair and skin to match it draped in leather is looking over everyone as if he runs the place. Rugged men with guns surround him like he's the president of the United freakin State.

"Who are you," Dylans stiffenes and asks. White dude gives Dylan an amused smile," I'm the new person in charge here," he cockily reponds. The two give eachother an intense stare off, white dude glances over at me and frowns," This isn't a place to be bringing you're girlfriends."

"I am not his girlfriend," I practically yell. I am getting so sick and tired of these people making the assumption that I am. Dylan turns around and gives me the 'chill out' look, I just roll my eyes and cross my arms.

"She works with me, I'm teaching her the ropes," Dylan tell the him. 

White dude pushes past Dylan making his way towards me, "I didn't think that you would take it upon yourself to start bringing new people in so soon." He stops infront of me looking me up and down with lustful eyes. The smell of whisky and cigarette's irrate off of him, making me cringe from the horrible combination. He tilts he head and caresses his hand on my cheek.

"She looks just as tough as a china doll," a slight growel leaves his contaminated lips. Thats it i'm not some sort of object and no way in hell an i going to let him or any other guy for that matter tough and talk to me the way he is. His actions are only provoking me not seducing me.

I lean my head back and throw all my weight forward headbutting the asshole. He grunts in pain and tumbles back holding his nose that is now dripping with blood. His body guards raise there guns at me with there finger on the trigger, ready to shoot. "Does a china doll do that," I gowel. A dull pain aches in my head, but nothing compared to him. He looks up at me with hateful eyes and lunges forward.

I step back and Dylan places hand on his shoulder to keep him from getting to me. White dude continues to cover his bloody nose with his soaked hands. He looks at Dylan, "Better keep a leash on her or else she'll end up in the pound. And you know what happens to dogs when they go to pounds right?" The room is eerily silent and all eyes are on me.

"Somebody get me something to clean this up," white dude yells and walks to the other side of the room with his minions following behind. Dylan yanks my arm yet again and leads me to his office. We get in his office and he shuts and locks the door. He looks at me with judgmental eyes ," Why would you do that? We don't know who he is or what he's capable of."

"I'm not some object that he can touch and have his way with. I don't care if he is the in charge, he can act like he owns this place all he wants but he doesn't own me." Dylan grunts in frustration and figits in place.

"Fine whatever just don't do that again, let me take care of it."

"Like you were much help back there," I mumble loud enough for him to hear.

"MELISSA!" He yells and shuts me up. "Just don't do it again and I'll take care of him if he does that again. I promise wont let him or anyone touch you like that again," he says in a hostile tone of voice. I respond with an loathful glare," Fine." I walk up to him and agressivly say, " But if he does that shit again. I. Will. Not. Submitt and let him treat me like his bitch."

-Sorry for not updating in like almost a month! Even though it is summer and most people are out of school havin fun I am still in school, summer college classes suck! But I will do my best to do daily uploads and sorry this chapter is shorter than usual. I just wanted to get something up to keep you reading and hopefully not lose intrest. Comment on what you will be doing on your vacation and also let me know what you think should happen next in the story. And I dont care if you dont vote just please comment because I LOVE you're feed back. :)-