Chapter 12: Soaking it In

We both sit in front of the fire saying nothing. I told Dylan that I was sorry, but he didn't say anything. He just walked over to the fire and sat down. It's now past eight o'clock and dark. The silence that we both give is relaxing, especially in the woods. The sound of the trees brushing up against each other when the wind blows, the sound of crickets playing there night song, and nothing else but complete darkness with the chill wind brushing against my cheeks fill the void inside me.

"So what we do here is camp out here and guard this stuff. If we see people then we scare them and call Gil, but we wont people never come out this far," Dylan says poking at the fire.

"How long do we have to stay here for," I ask.

"We stay out here until the next group comes which is tomorrow morning. We stay here three to four days at a time."

"Okay," I figit trying to get comfortable in the lawn chair I'm sitting in. He's acting as if nothing happened just like the night he almost kissed me, when I locked him out of my room, and when I broke down and ran away. He's ignored everything and hasn't asked any questions about what I did or what I've said. I don't know if this is one of his best characteristics, ignore everything that seems difficult, or his worst.

Either way it benefits me because I myself want to ignore everything too, but I feel sometime in the future it will hurt me. All I have to do is act as if everything is normal. Who am I kidding nothing what I am doing is normal given to the average person. This is my normal and I have to live with it as screwed up as possibly can.

"What are gonna tell Norma when you are gone for days at a time," Dylan asks looking up as the fire glows against his face.

"I don't know I'll just tell her I found a job that has me be gone for a few days."

"And you don't think she's going to ask where you're going?"

"Maybe, but that's for me to worry about," a gust of wind blows and I curl up into a ball. I'm not dressed for this type of over night weather. I didn't expect to be spending the night in the woods on my first day on the job or get strangled, life is full of surprises especially if its mine.

 "Here take this," Dylan says as he takes his leather jacket off.

"No you're gonna get cold and I have my own," I remove the jacket and walk over to Dylan holding it in his face.

He looks up," Quit being stubborn and take it I don't want you getting sick and I have to cover for you."  Well that's a nice way of saying he cares for my health. I sit down on the ground and wrap his jacket around me.

"Oh aren't you just the sweetest," I say sarcastically. "So do we take shifts or something?"

"Yea you can take the first one," he gets up and walks in the tent. Is he serious? He was sleeping when I got here. I don't care if he's considered my boss he will not be a lazy ass when I'm around. I follow after him and open the tent flap.

"You were sleeping when I got here I need sleep."

"Oh really and cant you wait a couple more hours," he crosses his arms. Fine if he wants me to unload  my days full of crap then here it is.

"I fell asleep at two almost three in the morning only to be woken up by you four hours later to go to school. Then I get in a fight with Bradley as she later on tells me I am a brother bouncer and need to stay away from you. After school I get strangled my Remo for one of his 'tests' and now I am here currently having the cold shoulder being given to me by you while its freezing." After I finish ranting his eyes are wide and I am out of breath.