Chapter Twelve: I Lost A Friend

Before me, I saw the lifeless body of the little girl that I promise I would protect.

Blood dripped down the side of her head as her tortured soul left her body.

"No..." I said softly.

I fell to my knees as I saw Yalung sternly walk away with the woman and two men.

I looked down at the gun in my hand. I was filled with rage and yearned for revenge.

"Motherf*****!" I yelled.

I stood up and unloaded my Mauser on the people. I hit the two men that were hauling the woman away and they fell to the ground.

I felt a pain in my shoulder as Yalung spun around and shot me.

"G-Gah!" I yelled as I knelt down clutching my shoulder. Blood trickeled down my hand and onto the ground as I dealt with the pain.

I heard footsteps towards me and I looked to my right. The last thing I saw was the butt of a gun hitting me right in the nose. 

I heard voices as I came in and out of consciousness.

"P-Please! Don't kill him!"

"No, Libitina. He is unworthy."

"Please!"

I heard a click sound.

"No, Libitina. You can find another one."

"You can't find anyone like him! He's the only one that can make me open my third eye!"

The voices stopped for a second.

"If you let him live...I'll...I'll...I'll open my third eye tonight...I promise you!"

The voices stopped again.

"Alright, Libitina. You've bought him some time. You better show promising results tonight."

"Y-Yes sir."

The voices stopped and I entered the familiar heaven...or hell. I was back on the stone path with the fox next to me.

"You're running out of time. Get a move on." The wind said.

Fair enough.

I started running down the stone path and the fox ran with me.

"Many men have tried to defeat Yankraught. Only the most worthy stand a chance."

Me and the fox ran up a pathway that circled around a mountain. Along the pathway, we'd see small demons so I'd stab them or my fox would attack them.

I kept running up the mountain and at the top, there was a bell the size of an apartment building. It was chained down by weak rusty chains.

I slowly walked over to the bell but a demon tackled me and stabbed me in the shoulder.

"Please wake up..." A voice said.

I was still in the dream world still, but I heard outside voices. The fox saved my life and tackled the demon.

I got into a knife fight with two of demons. I dodged one of their attacks and they ended up stabbing each other.

One ran towards me but I jumped out of the way, causing it to run off the mountain.

"They don't stop coming!" I yelled.

I ran over to one of the chains that were keeping the bell down and started picking away at it with my knife.

SNAP

The chain snapped and the bell took off into the air, ripping out the other two chains with it.

The chains slipped off the bell as it slowly tilted to the side.

The fox backed towards me as dozens as demons started to appear before us.

"I know you're a fox but...any last words?" I said.

DOOOOOOOONG

The bell rang with an ear piercing sound and all of the demons disappeared into smoke and ash.

My vision became blurry as I soon lost consciousness. I fell on my back and onto the ground as a white flash came over me.

I slowly felt a soft sensation on my lips as I returned back to my home world. I slowly opened my eyes to see a closed pair of eyes in front of mine.

Those pair of eyes opened and I saw the yellow eyes of a girl I knew.

Libitina was kissing my lips, and I woke up halfway through.

"Ah!" She yelped as she jumped back. Her face turned a bright shade of red as she covered her mouth.

"I wasn't expecting that...to work..." She said.

I chuckled as I sat up in bed. My shoulder was killing me but the pain went away when I layed eyes on the woman I loved.

I was in a hospital room, and I was laying on a hospital bed with IVs in my arm.

"What happened?" I asked.

Libitina stood still as she stared at me. She looked as if she was about to break down.

She jumped on the bed and wrapped her arms around me.

"You dummy!" She yelled.

"Gah!" I yelped.

My shoulder still hurt so the "Libitina's Face" pain killer went away.

"Ow, Libitina!" I said.

"I don't care! You almost got yourself killed!" She said through her tears.

Libitina was over top of me while she buried her face on my chest. She hit me with her fist softly.

"I thought you were gonna die! I...I was so scared!" She said.

I wrapped my arms around Libitina so that I could prevent her from hitting me more, and also hug her.

"Libitina I'm sorry I...I didn't mean to..." I said.

"Promise me that you'll never do anything like that again!" She said.

"Okay I won't."

"Promise me!"

"I promise Libitina! I swear!"

I made an "x" motion over my heart and Libitina got her head off my chest. She looked closely at my face and recollected.

"You...you owe me something..." She said.

"What's that?"

"Close your eyes..."

"What?"

Libitina put her hand over my eyes as I tried to get words to escape my mouth. She pressed her lips against mine for a "proper" kiss that didn't involve me being unconscious.

She let go of me and her hand slipped off of my face.

"I will show my dark side if you ever do anything like that again."

Did she just make a joke about her third eye?

"O-Okay, Libitina."

Someone busted through the door and it was Yalung. He gave me a death stare when he saw Libitina over top of me.

"Libitina." He said.

"Yeah?" She answered.

"It's time."

-----------------------------------------------------------