(5) Misunderstanding

🐾

     "Jane! Jane!" I shouted from outside her apartment while continuously knocking on the door.

     After a few minutes, the door finally opened, revealing Jane Roberts, my secretary and also one of my close friends at EXRay Media.

     "Day?!" Jane shouted, shocked that she saw me at this hour.

     "Jane, I don't have my phone and I don't have my wallet and I really don't want to go back home," I quickly tell her.

     Then Hunter barks beside me, like he was explaining too.

    Jane looked even more confused as she said, "W-Wait a second...what's going on here? I don't understand what you're saying."

    I stared at Jane for a couple of seconds, then, like someone clicked a switch, I started crying, shocking Jane even more.

     "Oh god, you poor thing. Come on, let's go inside," Jane calmly said as she held my shoulder and brought me inside, Hunter following behind me.

     "Good thing my husband is on a business trip," Jane says as she made me sit on the sofa.

     She goes to the kitchen and quickly goes back to me with a cup of coffee, "D-Does the dog...want anything?" she asked me confusingly.

     Hunter looks at her and barks. Then he went to the side and lied down on the floor. He must have been tired since we've been walking around for at least an hour now.

     "Water would be fine," I say as I wiped the tears off my cheeks.

     Jane quickly goes back to the kitchen to give Hunter a bowl of water.

     She gently places it in front of him, and then she goes to sit beside me.

     "Alright, what happened?"

     "Last week I told you my fiancé got back right?" I asked Jane.

     Jane nods her head and said, "From Canada right?"

     "Canada?" I confusingly asked, but then I remembered something. I couldn't possibly tell Jane the whole story so I just lied about Damien staying in Canada for five years because his job required him to stay there.

     "Y-Yeah, Canada...well, I then told you yesterday that we'd be moving to his place right?" I asked again.

     Then suddenly, Jane gasps and says, "Don't tell me...he lives in the slums."

     I quickly took a sip of the coffee Jane served me and shouted, "No! He lives in a fucking penthouse!"

     Jane's eyes widened and quickly stood up from the sofa "Put your fucking coffee down. I'll get the beer."

     Jane runs to the kitchen and got back with 2 cold cans of beer.

    She opens both of it and hands me the other one, "Tell me everything," Jane says, and that was the only thing that I needed to make me put out all of my frustrations.

     I told her about Maxon, how insecure and jealous I became, and how Damien's going to be busy even though we haven't seen each other for five years.

    "So you thought it was a good idea to call Todd? Your ex-boyfriend?" Jane asked.

     I finished the can that I was holding and placed it on the table with the rest of the beers that Jane and I have already finished.

     "It was wrong, I know, but I didn't know what else to do. It was unfair you know," I honestly tell her.

     And come on, Damien fucked other men for a living before and I don't even open that up anymore. I wasn't even THAT mad, so why is he mad about me being friends with Todd again.