(6) Private Interview

🐾

     "And Hunter? Are you sure he'll be-"

     Damien quickly cuts me off and squeezed my shoulder, "Hunter will be fine. Jane said she'll take care of him while we're away so you don't have to worry."

     I looked at Damien, still unsure about leaving Hunter while we enjoyed ourselves.

     "Our baby will be fine," Damien suddenly tells me, and for some stupid reason, my face started turning red.

     "Our baby," I repeated inside my head like an idiot.

     "But if you're that worried about him, then do you want to cancel this?" Damien suddenly asked me, quickly snapping me back to my senses.

     I immediately shook my head and answered, "No, of course not."

    "Are you sure?" he asked me again.

    I turned off my phone and showed it to Damien, "See, I'm not going to text or call Jane anymore. I'm a hundred percent not worried about Hunter so we don't have a reason to cancel this."

     Damien chuckles and pats my head, "Alright, I get it. Now let's go," he says as he takes my things and places it in the back of the car.

     I sighed in relief.

     Obviously Damien won't cancel our plans, but he's very unpredictable so I don't want to risk it.

     "We're good to go," Damien says as he opens the door of the car for me.

     When I got inside, Damien sat on the driver's seat and starts driving away.

     I seriously don't know where Damien was taking me. I was asking him about the place but Damien made sure to keep his mouth shut to surprise me.

     While we were driving, I looked out the window and just took a deep breath.

     I didn't really intentionally want to make the atmosphere feel like this, but suddenly, the whole car felt so awkward with just the two of us in it.

     "I'm sorry," we both said in unison.

     I quickly looked back at him as Damien cleared his throat. He continued to look at the road as he said, "You go ahead first."

     I cleared my throat too as I looked back at looking out the window.

     Somehow looking at him made me feel nervous.

     "I wanted to apologize for...you know...acting like a jerk. I didn't think about you, or how you felt and what you have gone through. And then there was Todd, oh god that was a shitty move. I should have told you about him and we should have talked properly too. I just...I just got selfish," I finally say. And when the words went out of my mouth, my heart automatically felt lighter.

     I gathered the courage to look back at Damien. And to my surprise, he was gripping on the steering wheel, like he was thinking about something really hard.

     "Damien?" I called out, suddenly making him blink.

     "You just said what I wanted to say," he tells me.

     "I too was selfish," he starts, "I planned so many things without thinking about what you'd feel. When I got mad I felt like it was unfair. I said to myself that I practically gave you my whole life and you can't even give me the freedom to do what I want now that I'm free."

     "No, Damien I-"

     Damien immediately cuts me off as he stops at a red light. He looks back at me with his blue eyes that melted me every time.