(8) Sober Up

🐾

     "Thank you," Damien says as the crowd cheered.

     He puts the guitar down and runs to me like a child who just finished performing in a school talent show.

     "How was it?" he asked, like my opinion about his singing and guitar-playing ability was very important.

     He stares at me and suddenly looked shocked, "B-Babe, are you...okay?"

     I stared back at him, and then I immediately touched my cheeks, surprised that it was actually wet and I was actually crying.

     "Was it that good?" Damien teasingly asked as he sat down on his seat, still not removing his eyes on me.

     I laughed and immediately wiped the tear off my face. Damien smiles and leans forward to pat my head. Before I could say anything else, Marie arrives with two more bottles of beer.

     "Stick around and enjoy the night. Beers on me too," Marie says with a wink.

    "Thank you," Damien and I answered at the same time.

     Then Marie smiles and leaves the table to assist the other customers.

     "So...you gonna tell me how you learned how to play the guitar and sing like that?" I finally asked as I took a sip from my glass.

     Damien drank from the bottle and answered, "When I was a kid, my father used to sing songs to me. I got interested but never got a chance to learn it. So when I started working for your uncle, I bought a guitar and decided to start learning how to play it. I play it during my free time, and it feels like I'm closer to my father whenever I do so."

     "You really were close to him," I say, immediately regretting it when I remembered about the incident. But I ended up sighing in relief when Damien didn't look pained or hurt. He was actually smiling when I told him about it.

     "I was. He was three-in-one. A father, a brother, and a friend. I was lucky to have him," he sincerely says, making me smile. 

     "Well I know it would be weird to ask you this but I hope I could hear you play it again like how your father used to do when you were a kid."

     Damien smiles and nods his head. Then we got back to drinking and talking to just whatever.

     A few hours later, everyone started dancing.

     With a wide smile on his face, Damien immediately stood up and grabbed my arm.

     "Baby come on! Lets dance!" Damien told me.

     I laughed and shook my head, "I don't dance."

     "So do I!" Damien answered, pulling me up from my seat.

     I laughed again and finally let Damien pull me.

     We danced beside the other customers while the music from the jukebox played.

     Damien playfully dances in front of me, so I did the same and just danced whatever. He then grabbed my arm and twirled me around, making me laugh even more.

    "You're not as bad as I expected!" Damien shouted so I could properly hear him.

    "So are you!" I shouted back, but then the music suddenly became slower. And everyone who was dancing started to get the waitresses and just any woman who was sitting on their seats.

     Damien pulls away from me, and then he bows and grabs my hand to gently kiss it, "May I have this dance sir?"

     I laughed at how silly he was, but I bowed back anyway as I answered, "You may."