Chapter 20

You woke up the next day to 14 missed calls from Niall. You ignored them. You showered, washed the makeup and tears from your face, and didn’t bother to put on any more makeup. By the time you got out of the shower, you had a 15th missed call, and a text.  “I know u r awake. Please skype me :(“

You opened your laptop and he was already calling you. You answered. He was silent. You were silent.

“Would you like to tell me whats going on?”

“It doesn’t matter”.

More silence.

“Was it Mark”

You started crying. You tried not to. You didn’t want to cry. Not now. You saw him get angrier, and you tried to stop the tears falling, but the harder you tried to stop crying, the more you cried.

“I’m going to kill that bastard. What did he do? Katie tell me what he fucking did.”

“Niall stop. It doesn’t matter. What matters is that you weren’t there when it happened. “

Niall started to cry. You’d never seen him cry before. His eyes turned bright blue, and his cheeks turned red. His breathing was labored, and he looked you straight in the eyes.

“Katie. Why are you doing this?”

“Niall, why don’t you understand that I love you. But I seriously can’t do this.” The tears were streaming down your face. “I need you here with me, and you can’t be. So I have to be done.”

“Katie, I’m with you, in my heart, in your heart, I’m there. “

“Niall. I need you in my arms.” By this point, you were crying too hard to talk. All the memories from the time you’d known Niall flashed through your head, and you were able to choke out

            “Bye, Niall.”

            You hung up. You rolled over, and harder than you ever had, you cried. You couldn’t help it. You didn’t know what to do. You went out on the balcony of your room for some fresh air, and just watched as your tears dropped onto the wood, staining it dark.

Now you really thought about Niall. You remembered first learning about One Direction. Your dad had shown you a girl named Cher Lloyd on YouTube. She was auditioning for X-Factor, and your dad loved her voice. You started watching the series online since it didn’t show in the U.S.  A boy named Niall Horan had auditioned, and you started rooting for him. He was gorgeous. When he was eliminated, he was put with 4 other gorgeous boys, and One Direction was formed. They sang Torn.  They sang Viva la Vida, Kids in America, Total Eclipse of the Heart, and Your Song with Robbie Williams. And so many more. You pushed for them to win every week, but they only made it to third. You and Ally stalked Ally’s tumblr, looking at pictures of them.

You started to cry harder.

You have never been so in love with a boy. Niall didn’t sing as often as the other boys, but when his solos came on, it was like magic. His brown roots put you in a trance. You thought it was pointless, but still loved him when he got braces. They slowly got famous. They weren’t your secret. But you were proud of them.

You were sobbing now.

Niall fell in love with you. You had two amazing weeks together. Ally and Harry fell in love. It was over now. You knew you couldn’t go on being separated from him anymore.  But you couldn’t be with him, either.

You went back inside, and looked at your phone. Three more missed calls. You texted him.

“I’m sorry”

Almost immediately you got a text. It wasn’t from Niall.