Chapter 16: All in a day's work

"The culprit is..."

*A few hours earlier, 15:30*

Linda Holmes had gathered all of the members of staff and contestants in the Contest's Hall's waiting room. In her hands was a neatly, organized, colour-coded file.
"Seems by the looks of that file...Big Sis' solved the case...and all in one day..."Ricky commented, " and yet, she can't figure out who stole my chocolate mousse!" He complained to Aaron.

"Ricky commented, " and yet, she can't figure out who stole my chocolate mousse!" He complained to Aaron

"Why are you complaining to me?" Aaron replied with a death glare.
"Don't be so sour, Big Bro'!" Ricky exclaimed.
"I'm NOT YOUR brother," Aaron emphasized.
"We are at least half brothers," Ricky replied.
Holmes cleared her throat to catch the crowd's attention, just before Aaron lost his cool and started a fight with Ricky. "May I have your attention?" When silence enveloped the room, Holmes continued, "I have gathered you all here because the culprit is among you." This triggered the avalanche of whispered accusations from the crowd; it wasn't long until it escalated into yells and threats. Holmes had to yell three times before catching the crowd's attention. "Three yells....that surely is going to piss her off..." Ricky mumbled quietly. Linda Holmes took a deep breath to recollect her patience before she continued. "As I formerly mentioned, the culprit is among the crowd. Throughout the day, I have interrogated the main suspects - the seven qualified contestants, and the two recognised in the pixel image- and have come to a conclusion through a process of elimination. Firstly, the suspected Ricky Holmes, Aaron and Anabelle Poirot, can be eliminated as suspects. This is because the latter two were with my ANNOYING little brother, Ricky, and from personal experience, this would have been a very tedious situation. Furthermore, had Ricky also been an accomplice, they would have been caught the moment they tried to approach the room. Moreover, we have very concrete testimonies from eyewitnesses who say how the Poirots were bab-....battling Ricky." "Hey! She was about to say babysitting!" Ricky whined. "That's because we were!" Aaron and Anabelle shouted in unison.

Holmes cleared her throat in irritation before commenting, "Now, if our cleared suspects will be kind enough to remember their manners, and keep quiet, we may proceed with the next suspect: Adriana Rowan."

*Flashback to two hours earlier, 13:30*

As Holmes had finished analysing the remaining footage from the incident, all she could conclude was an estimate of the time the incident must have taken place. The footage during this time had been skilfully eliminated, frustrating Holmes. It was not until now that Holmes had realised that her Emolga, Joan, had left the room. Holmes decided to pack her stuff as she concluded her investigation in the security room.

As Holmes started to leave the building, Watson –her Mudkip- and Mary –her Goodra- in pursue, she was surprised to settle her eyes on Joan interacting with one of the main suspects, Rowan.

As Rowan felt Holmes' questioning stare, she turned to greet them, however, this greeting soon turned to enthusiastic questions from Rowan.
"IS THAT A GOODRA? I've never seen one this close before! Tino-Senpai told me so much about them! I can't believe my eyes! Goodras can only be found in Kalos, this is such a lucky experience! And she looks so beautiful!" Rowan approached the embarrassed Mary with enthusiasm.

*End of flashback, 16:00*

"We talked for approximately an hour, and during this period of time, I took this opportunity to interrogate Rowan. However, the vast majority of the time was spent by me asking unanswered questions regarding the case, and Rowan being eager to learn more about my Pokémon. It is due to this, that I questioned whether she was innocent or was acting in order to evade the questions and not assist with the case. The latter would mean that a harsher charge would be imposed on the suspect." Holmes concluded, a deadly spark in her eyes, as Adriana stared down in embarrassment.

"I then concluded my interrogations for the day with Lady G. We were lucky enough to be contacted by a trustworthy source which presented some concrete evidence on who the culprit must be... Regardless of not interrogating all of the suspects, it is evident that the culprit is... Lady F." Holmes stated before the crowds murmuring commenced once more. "This was all done by her without the help of any accomplices," Holmes concluded before biting her lip. Ricky had noticed this gesture and how Lady G. was nodding in approval at his sister's concluding statement. He knew that his sister's gesture must mean that she was holding something and as a detective, she was having a hard time doing so. Even the oblivious Ricky knew how much influence Lady G. had in Split-Route... Her word was law, and not even the best detective in the town could defy her word...