Chapter 19: True Colours

"That mask... that voice.... What am I thinking? It's impossible... it can't be her... Focus! You can't let your guard now that you've managed to get this far...." Adriana thought to herself.

"Tick. Tock. You're biting on my Pokemon-bonding time," Lady G complained.

"Yes, s-sorry!" an embarrassed Rowan mumbled. "Buddy, can you take the spotlight?"

"You're making me a batch of my favourite Pokepuffs, so sure," Buddy responded enthusiastically.

"Pepe, it's your playtime," Lady G told her Absol. "I'm in a good mood, so you can make the starting move."

"Hm... Buddy, use Shadow Ball a few times against the floor!"
The battlefield terrean was soon filled with new craters. Rowan soon had a bad feeling. Absol's claws soon became engulfed in an ominous purple shadow light; and used the newly formed crates to gain impulse with his claws in order to approach Buddy at a greater speed. Adriana regretted her move; she realised she was stuck between a rock and a hard place, and Buddy was about to pay the consequences.....

It was over before she had a chance to finish her next breathe. Pepe used the chilling Blizzard followed by the scorching Fire Blaze. The close proximity only enhanced the harm of this sequence of moves. To make matters worse, a Future Sight was the final strike of light that defeated Buddy; a move Rowan could
only guess was made during their own first move. The first round was over...

"What's wrong Mini Rowan? Did the Meowth catch your tongue?" Lady G smirked condescendingly. "Tick. Tock. Choose your next Pokemon."

Adriana bit her lower lip in frustration. Maybe... "Nutri, it's your turn to take the spotlight!"

"Lilith, time to bring the darkness."

"Finally! I was getting bored... I hope you can entertain me little man," Lilith remarked.

"Is she making fun of me?! Wait... Aqua is looking, I can't lose my fiery cool!" Nutri mumbles to himself.

"Can we make this a quick lost so that his ego doesn't get too much of a blow, Chi?"

"Chi..?"

"Use Double Team, Lilith," Lady G ordered.

"Nutri, use Razor Shell followed by Icy Wind!" This froze the water surrounding the Scalp Shell, forming an icy sword. It was convenient since multiple Hidden Powers were coming his way; luckily he was able to disperse them in time.

"The Ice Prince is back, baby" Nutri smirked before being hit by a dozen Shadow Balls.

"The Ice baby should learn not to piss off the Dark Queen, baby," Lilith reproached the now fainted Nutri. 

"Tsk. Tsk. You're disappointing me, Rowan. I thought you were supposed to at least be a decent opponent." Lady G reprimanded Adriana. "You better pull your act together if you want to continue that journey of yours." Rowan clenched her fists. "Girafarig, please brighten her view."

Rowan closed her eyes and took a deep breathe. "Paz, it's your turn to smooth the atmosphere!" Adriana's Altaria gracefully came out of her Pokeball as she opened her eyes.

"The losing team can make the first move. Try not to screw up, again."

Adriana closed her right hand, only exposing her index and middle finger which remained close together. With the latter, she pointed towards the floor before flicking them towards the sky, and opening her hand. Paz interpreted these gestures as she flew into the sky and used Sky Attack followed by Heat Wave, leaving a stunned Girafarig barely standing. He barely managed to gather enough energy to strike Paz with a Thunderbolt. Rowan opened her hand widely before closing it quickly. Paz used the sparkling Moonblast, leaving a fainted Girafarig behind.

"Oh~ So you also have it in you to win a battle, or was it just luck?" Lady G commented.

"Luna, take the moonlight!" The Dragonair cheerfully came out of her Pokeball. "Tick. Tock."

Lady G grinned. "Lily-bet, this is your battle."

"Seeing as you lost the last round, why don't you make the first move, Lady G," Rowan smirked.

"Hu, getting cocky, are we? Lily-bet, let's make the dark reality daunt on her with Night Daze."

Adriana flicked her fingers once. The temperature dropped as Luna used Blizzard. The Zoroark was approaching Luna at a relatively fast speed as she used Aerial Ace, despite the occasional patch of ice in the air surrounding the move. Comets were falling from the ceiling as Luna used Draco Meteor after Adriana flicked her fingers twice. The battle arena was now a disastrous combination of crates and meteor rocks... The Pokemon stared down at each other... They were going to resolve the battle with a final challenging move. Lily-bet used the new stones to impulse her way towards Luna as she zigzagged with her Iron Wheel. Clash. Dust. Both Pokemon laid fainted in the centre of the terrean...

"Heh, aren't things finally getting interesting..."

"Mama Aqua, are you ready?" Rowan asked Aqua who was standing next to her, holding baby Yuki in her arms. Aqua passed the baby Piplup to Adriana before gesturing with her flipper that the baby was asleep, and entering the battle ground. A squeaky cry surrounded the hall as Cyndaquil entered the battle arena. Aqua approached Cyndaquil and soothed him in her arms. The cry was rapidly replaced by Cyndaquil's light snore...

"I guess nothing beats the love of a mother," Lady G sighs as she held her head in her hands. "Mini Rowan, did you remember to bring six non-legendary Pokemons for the battle?"

"...."

"Sigh I thought so... Lapras. Pidgeotto. Take your places." The Pokemon took Lady G's and Adriana's half respectively. Having never battle with a Pidgeotto, Rowan decided to verify their moves with her Pokedex. However, to her dismay, a distorted screen was the only response she got from the device. "Oh, shoot..."

Only now did she realise that Lapras' Ice Beam was approaching them whilst she was distracted. There were only seconds left for Rowan to make a desperate move.... Her body reacted first, and before she realised she was standing in front of the Pidgeotto, shielding him.