21: Twenty-First Call

Silence filled between us as we walked along the sandy beach, our shoulders bumping on each other from time to time. I was still in shock, but a part of me was glad to finally been able to meet the person that I fell in love with through the phone. It sounded stupid, but Harry was always there for me, and I should have realized my feelings towards him when I wanted to tell him every good news that I had, and how I was looking forward to his calls every single day.

I wanted to be with him.

"What are you thinking about?" The familiar deep voice brought me back to reality. I only smiled at my feet.

"You." I answered, but it was the truth.

"What about me?"

"Nothing much," I sighed. "Just thinking about how lucky I am to have you back."

Harry chuckled. "You're saying that as if we were a couple."

"What if I want us to be?"

We both stopped in our tracks and Harry gave me the most surprised look ever. My cheeks heated up when I realized what I've just said, and I quickly laughed it off nervously, playfully hitting the boy on his shoulder.

"I'm kidding, Haz. Stop looking at me like that."

I noticed the hint of disappointment when he said, "Oh."

Now my heart was heavy.

"Can we...," He breathed, grabbing my wrist when I attempted to continue walking. I raised my eyebrows in confusion, ignoring the quickening pace of my heartbeat. "Can we talk about it?"

"About what?"

"Lou." He pleaded.

"Hmm?" 

"Stop pretending like you don't know," His red cheeks warmed my heart. "About what I said earlier. On the phone."

"Oh, the part where you admitted you had a crush on me?" I teased.

"Louis!"

"Alright, alright," I laughed and didn't stop myself from softly pinching his cheeks. Harry only groaned in annoyance. "Let's talk about it, yeah?"

"Truth is..." I pursed my lips and faced the other way, where the wedding was held. I noticed a few people heading home, and my stomach was grumbling in hunger. I better head back quick.

"Truth is?" Harry pushed, his eyes flickering with hope.

I turned to him with a mischievous grin. "I'll tell you if you can catch me."

Then I started running.