The Start of the End

Yev kicks his legs back and forth in the back seat of the car. "Are you still mad at Mr. Gallagher?" He asks.

Mickey glances up at him in the mirror and shakes his head. "Don't worry about it, Yevvy. Ian and I are fine now."

Yev grins widely and nods. "Good. I don't like it when you guys fight."

Mickey smiles a bit as he parked the car. They were so close to the finish line. So close to getting out of the house and finally starting their lives. Mickey just had to figure out a way to tell Yev and he was afraid the boy wouldn't understand why they had to move away from his mother and the house.

They pull up to the small elementary school and Mickey parks the car. Yev climbs out the back and grabs Mickey's hand, swinging it between them as they walk. "Are you two boyfriends?" He asks suddenly.

Mickey shrugs and rubs the back of his neck awkwardly. "Uh, Yeah. Y ah I guess we're boyfriends."

Yev smiles and nods. "I think I might get a girlfriend soon. There's this girl and I really really like her."

Mickey chuckles. "Yev, you're only five. You have a long long time before you need to be dating anyone."

Yev pouts. "But I wanna be like you, daddy. I wanna be a grown up!" Mickey laughs again and shakes his head. "Trust me, kiddo. Being a grown up is a lot harder than you think," he says as they walk into the school. As usual, Yev waves to all the passing janitors and teachers on the way, even the ones he didn't know.

Ian was waiting in his classroom, saying hello to the incoming students. He personally greeted each student as they walked in, including Yevgeny. "Good morning, Yevgeny. How are you?"

He grins widely. "I'm good," he says before going over to his cubby and putting his things away. Mickey glances over at him, hands in his pockets. "So, uh, I got work today until six. Think maybe you'd wanna hang out after? Svet is taking Yev and signing him up for baseball. Bet we could get a good hour in at your place before she gets back."

Ian smiles and nods. He'd been dying to hang out alone with Mickey. "Yeah, sounds great. Still got a few leftover brewskis from last time."

Mickey grins. "Sounds perfect," he says. He knew that the thought of hanging out with Ian later was enough to get him through the work day. That washing dishes and taking out the trash would be worth it in the end if it meant even just an hour with Ian. "Alright. It's a date," he smirks. "I'll see you later." Ian nods, a small smile on his lips.

"Yeah, Mick. I'll see you later," he grins. Mickey nods and glances over at Yev who was now at his table with a few other kids, coloring away on a piece of paper.

"Bye, Yev," he says. Yev looks up and grins.

"Bye, daddy!" He calls, waving to him.

________________________________

The workday, though it had promised of a better night, seemed to drag on for hours. It was busy for a weekday afternoon and evening, but Mickey still felt like the work was never-ending. It was around three o'clock when Mickey felt his phone vibrating in his pocket. He lets out a small sigh when he sees its Ian's work number. "I gotta take this real quick," he tells the other dishwasher. He slaps him on the back as he walks past him and outside to the side of the building. "Yeah, what's up?" He asks. The other end of the line was quiet for a moment before Ian started to speak.

"Mickey, Svetlana didn't come pick Yevgeny up yet. He's freaking out and crying. He thinks you guys left him or something," Ian says.

"The fuck you mean she's not there?" Mickey asked in a slightly annoyed tone. He sighs heavily, taking his apron off and hanging it up, "fuck..I'll be there in ten. Stay with him, alright?" He grumbles, storming out. Mickey was beyond pissed at her

At this moment, Mickey didn't worry about telling his manager where he was going. He'd explain later. He gets into his car and drives off down the road.

He gets to the elementary school in record time and parks the car, walking inside and straight to Ian's room. He saw Yev sitting in his chair, tears running down his face. Ian was next to him, rubbing the kid's back. Yev's eyes widen when he sees Mickey. "Daddy!" The boy hurried out of his chair and rushes over to his dad, hugging his waist. "Why didn't mama come?"

"I don't know, Yev," he says, patting his back. But when we get home I'm going to make sure she gets a fucking ear full from me for it."

Ian goes over to him, "I gave the kid cookies and juice to calm him down. Hope that's alright," Ian tells him. "I, uh, I'm here if you need any help. Just let me know."

Mickey glances over at him and nods, rubbing the back of his neck. He knew if they were going to be moving in together, he'd have to get used to Ian helping him all the time. It was just a new feeling for Mickey to know that he had someone there that he could lean on every once in a while. "Thanks, man. I'll keep that in mind," he says. He grabs Yevs things from his Cubbie and hands it to the boy. Yev wipes his tears and puts his coat on before grabbing his bag.

Mickey and Yevgeny head to the car and go home. "Daddy? What if mommy doesn't come home?" He asks. Yevgeny was having a lot of anxiety over Svetlana disappearing. He had never been abandoned like that before.

Mickey sighs as he drives. Once stopped at a red light, he turns in his seat and faces Yev. "She's gonna come home. She always does. She's probably just out with her friends or some shit. And even if... if something did happen and she didn't come back, we're gonna be okay. I promise."

WE'RE ALMOST AT THE END!!! Only two more chapters to go and it's over. I can't believe it! But special thanks to fckmeupaye for being the real Gee and helping me finish this chapter.