◇3◇

tw for joking about suicide, bullying, mention of beheading a rat with a shovel and minor violence
-

The assembly Evan had mentioned was undoubtedly the most annoying part of Connor's life, besides being born. It was atleast an hour long, and was really just the principal repeating the same thing in different ways.

After the assembly, a bunch of people crowded around him and tried to talk but he just responded that they had the wrong Connor Murphy, which confused them long enough for him to walk away.

He looked for Evan, who hadn't attended because he didn't want to face the crowd of people. Connor couldn't really blame him, and as he walked through the hallways he heard some kids yelling in the supply closet.

Partly being curious and party just being nosy, he opened the door quietly, stepping into the room.

The kids were yelling, he realized, surrounding someone who sounded like they were crying.

They muttered something inaudible, but loud enough for Connor to recognize the voice as Evan's.

It was like something went off in Connor, and he grabbed one kid's hood and pulled him away from the others to see Evan, who was covering his face with his hands and shaking.

"What the fuck is going on?" Connor asked the kid, and as he glanced at his face he realized it was Garret. He never knew Garret, but he knew him, if that makes since.

Garret grinned at Connor as if nothing was wrong, "Murphy! We were just teaching this filthy lier a lesson-"

"First of all, Peterson, don't call him that. And don't adress me at all, thanks." He let go of Garret's hoodie and pushed him away, walking over to Evan and grabbing his arm.

"What's your damage, dude?" One of the other kids asked Connor, but he glared at him and he shut up.

Connor kneeled down so he was eye-level with Evan, lowering his voice. "Ev, c'mon, let's get outta here."

Evan seemed to either not hear him or to be ignoring him, because he just dug his nails into the palms of his hands and kept crying softly.

"Keep crying, you big baby. It should've been you instead of Connor-"

Connor turned around so quickly you would've thought a gunshot went off, punching Garret directly in the face.

"Shut. Up." He hissed, as Garret's friends hurried out of the room. Garret stood, looking extremely out-of-it, and ran after them.

"I'm s-sorry, C-Connor," Evan stuttered quietly, his voice shaky.

"Evan, why are you covering your face?"

Evan shook his head, dropping one of his hands but keeping his left eye covered.

"Ev. C'mon, you know I'll find out eventually."

Evan sighed and moved his other hand, showing Connor a still bleeding cut that went through his eyebrow and then along the side of his eye.

Connor stared at Evan for a second before putting a hand on his shoulder, "Don't worry, I'll kill them for you if you want."

Evan smiled. It was a small smile, but still a smile and that was all Connor wanted.
"N-no, don't do that."

Connor took Evan's hand and pretended not to notice when he blushed, leading him out of the room and down the hallway. Evan glanced around, "Where are we going? The nurse's office is that way."

"Yeah, I know. We're ditching."

"Oh."

Connor noticed the hesitation in Evan's voice and paused, "I won't make you if you don't want to."