Friendship vs Romance

I hate how sometimes it feels like these two things are pitted against each other with romance being placed higher over friendship. Like sometimes in shows and stuff, two characters have a really nice friendship but then the showrunners have to insert romance in there as if they think it 'completes' it or something when it was fine and I kind of hate it. Or when two people are friends but people start pushing them to date because somehow that's seen as better.

Don't get me wrong, romance is great, I do love it. I am a sucker for Choni kisses and get ridiculously excited when guys text me (not so much when they make comments about my oh-so-raunchy dressing gown but I suppose that's guys for you). Some people work amazingly as couples, they just click and I love it when that happens on TV. Two characters seem to get on really well and they're all flirty and you can tell there's something more and then it happens and it's great. 

It's great when it happens naturally but it's when it's inserted that I hate it

Like on Riverdale (Yes, I am still watching), Bughead and Varchie are fine but they're just kind of getting boring to me now. However, in the last episode, it was lovely to see Cheryl and Betty interact, bonding over mutual tragedies. And I also loved seeing Jughead and Archie be roommates, Veronica lifting Betty up and even Kevin and Betty in episode one, fangirling over her 'date'. Frankly, I found those so much more interesting than forced Varchie sex scenes for the sake of it.

I feel like friendship is just underrated in fanfiction a lot, especially a lot of the bad boy novels. Often the best friend will just sort of disappear without explanation in favour of the alpha/bad boy/vampire and it just sucks. Like there's so much to explore with friendship and it can be equally as adorable.

Like there are so many different kind of friendships and they're all equally brilliant, no friendship is the same and it's awesome. There is so much to explore, so many different kinds and it's awesome.

There are the friends that will call you up at eleven to take you out on an adventure and three hours later you're in the Sky Garden wondering what the fuck will happen next. One of my friendships is solely based on our narcissism, we spend hours discussing self-esteem and our own shared flaws so that we actually have fun and hopefully don't annoy other people. With one of my friends, every conversation is laced with sarcasm, we take the piss out of each other but then have insanely deep conversations about time. There are fandom friends, the kind that you always end up getting existential with, the ones you can not see for months and its just the same.

And then there are so many different groups. I am a very extroverted person so I try and branch out to as many groups as possible and adopt my lovely introverts along the way. We have a kind of gang which links with about six others but there are so many different dynamics, the possibilities are endless. Some people have one insanely close friend and they're a dynamic duo and it's awesome. Some people have exclusive little gangs with so many inside jokes it's insane and some people have massive webs of people. There is literally just so much that can be explored and I hate how it sometimes gets sidelines in favour of romance.

It's its own lovely thing and is so different to romance that it would be awesome if they got equal screentime.

Plus friendship breakups are always so upsetting. They can make you fucking weep.

Also if anyone lives in London GO TO THE SKY GARDEN! Me and spontaneous friend went there and WOW

Also if anyone lives in London GO TO THE SKY GARDEN! Me and spontaneous friend went there and WOW. It is incredible and free to get in, you don't even need a ticket after 6, you just queue and go in. Like it is AMAZING, just look

IT IS AMAZING! We were drastically underdressed though, both of us in combat boots and she was wearing hollister booty shorts but we got our drinks and looked at the view for hours and it was amazing - E x