Chapter 3: "Don't pretend you thought this through."

Now Playing: How to Start a War: Simon Curtis

Bombs are falling, the world is stalling

I'm still trying, why are we fighting

Words destroy us, bait and toy us

I still love you, do you love me too

EDITED 6/16/19 BY MundieORiley and Imaginary_Capable16 

Iris couldn't breathe.

Until now, the cape had been doing great: flying her above the New York skyscrapers, up into the sky, and toward the space donut. But capes and fabric, in general, didn't need to breathe, and Iris did.

A cloudless sky whizzed by, and the view would have been breathtaking (pun intended) if not for the situation. The air was getting thinner, and she gasped for breath, she looked down, and Iris couldn't even see the streets anymore, just a blob of grey where New York City lay. Ribbons of blue streaked through it, pooling into the Atlantic Ocean. As they soared higher, her eyes began to water and Iris blinked to try a wipe away her blurry vision. Eventually, she could see the surrounding states and looked upward again, with her stomach churning a bit.

Please don't drop me, she pleaded silently.

I swear, if it drops you, I'm never forgiving you.

There won't be anything to forgive, I'll be a human pancake on the streets of New York.

Too true.

The roar of Stark's suit boomed in her ears, and she turned her head to the left to find him zooming alongside her and the cape.

His voice was barely audible over the howl of the wind. "How are you doing over there?"

Iris opened her mouth, gasping for air like a fish out of water. "Can't. Breathe."

"Oh, that's a problem."

Iris nodded but didn't speak. Stark muttered something into his suit, and she heard the distant hum of engines. Or maybe that was just the wind in her ears, blowing the stray hairs of her braid into her eyes.

Then the cape dropped her, and Iris screamed like there was no tomorrow.

She plummeted, the cape flying after Stark as though it hadn't just dropped a human being. Iris pinwheeled slowly in the air and tried to focus on stopping herself and calming down, but all she could think about was what it would feel like when she would hit the ground.

The ground, a gray and green blur, and the sky, a blue and a white one, occasionally streaked with black from the space donut, flashed across her blurry vision. Her arms flew out to her sides clawing at empty air, her feet swung like she was running on concrete, and bile rose in her mouth. Iris would throw up, she knew it, but at the moment, she was too scared.

Sudden light pressure on her back between her shoulder blades shocked her, and Iris felt it extend to her fingertips and boots. Something cool and new-smelling closed over her face and suddenly she could breathe properly again. Something else adjusted her so she wasn't thrashing in mid-air, bright lights flashing across the inside of her new mask. Iris felt her arms being lightly pushed to her sides, palms open, and her leg forced together.