Scene 13: Fangs and Jacqueline

Fangs: Dune was right - this family is amazing! I just love that Jacqueline. She's my type of girl. Not too crazy, not too quiet, and with a lot of sense. Oh, here she comes now. (Howls in a friendly way.)

Jacqueline: Why, hello. What's your name?

Fangs: Bares his teeth.

Jacqueline: (Not scared.) Oh! I'll call you Fangs. Those are the biggest fangs I've ever seen on a dog!

Fangs: I'm a jackal.

Jacqueline: (She can't understand him.) What kind of dog are you? Let's go find Father.

Fangs: I don't know if that's a good idea...

Jacqueline: (Walking Fangs over to the tree, where Laurence is working on a contraption for the kitchen.) Father! What kind of dog is this?

Laurence: (Very shocked that the jackal isn't biting his daughter) Well, Abigail would know for sure, but I think that's a jackal.

Jacqueline: Amazing! I've got a pet jackal.

Laurence: Jacqui, jackals aren't really meant to be pets. They're wild, and-

Elisabeth: (Climbing down the ladder) What's that, Jacqueline?

Jacqueline: My new pet jackal.

Elisabeth: I don't think...

Jacqueline: Don't worry. I think we'll be just fine.

Elisabeth: Well, be careful...

Laurence: Very careful.

Franz: (Entering with Nip) Whoa! That's a beautiful, dog, Jacqui! Can he sleep in my room with Turk?

Jacqueline: Fangs is my jackal.

Franz: Oh. Can I play with him?

Jacqueline: If you want to come swim in the stream.

Elisabeth: Jacqueline! You know that water's too fast for Franz.

Jacqueline: But Mother, he's my pet! Franz already has Nip.

Laurence: We know. But remember, Franz is lonely too. He doesn't have Fritz and Abi to play with, and he needs you.

Jacqueline: All right...later. (She and Fangs leave the treehouse.)

Elisabeth: They've been gone a week, Laurence.

Laurence: Perhaps the island is larger than we predicted.

Elisabeth: I hope they're all right.