Scene 17: Where Are They?

Elisabeth and Laurence stand in the treehouse. Elisabeth looks more worried.

Elisabeth: Something's happened to them. Ten days?

Laurence: We agreed they would try to be home in two weeks.

Elisabeth: I know, but I can't help worrying. Fangs probably isn't the only jackal on this island, and I doubt all of them are friendly.

Laurence: If they don't come home in two more weeks, I'll go looking for them.

Elisabeth: Two weeks!? They could starve in two weeks!!!

Laurence: Fritz knows how to use the gun.

Elisabeth: (Leaning her head on Laurence's shoulder) I don't know why I agreed to this. They've never taken a trip on their own before.

Laurence: (Slowly) Lissie, they'll be just fine. Why don't we make a surprise for them when they return?

Elisabeth: (Brightening) Yes, let's! Hmm...let's fix up the tree house! Oh, I know! Curtains! And, let's build a guest room!

Laurence: (Overwhelmed) Guest room?

Elisabeth: You never know. A ship could come by, and they'd need a place to stay the night before we went on to New Guinea.

Laurence: (Arguing) We've already got three bedrooms. And a kitchen. And a family room.

Elisabeth: Laurence, it'll be for the surprise!

Laurence: (Knowing she's in charge) We never decided that was the surprise.

Elisabeth: Of course we did! Now, let's get to work!

Laurence: (Shaking his head) Oh, Lissie.

Franz: (Entering with Nip and Turk) Mother! Look what Nip can do!

Nip: (doing a trick) This is so fun!

Turk: You even get treats for doing it! Where are my treats?

Elisabeth: (Clapping for Nip) Wonderful!

Turk: My turn! (He does a somersault.)

Laurence: Franz, is Turk alright?

Franz: I think so. He's been doing that all day, and then sticking his tongue out.

Turk: (Jumping up and down) Treat! Treat!

Elisabeth: Maybe you'd better take him downstairs, Franz. He's getting a bit crazy.

Franz: Okay!

Jacqueline: (Entering) Fangs? Fangs!

Turk: Oh, I was supposed to tell her. Jacqueline! Fangs had to go see about your brother - he got bitten by a lizard...

Jacqueline: (Not understanding) What is it, Turk? Do you know where Fangs is?

Turk: I just told you...

Jacqueline:(Trying to get Turk off of her) Father, have you seen him?

Laurence: I'm afraid not...

Elisabeth: He is wild, you know.

Jacqueline: (Sadly) I thought he'd stay. We were getting to be such good friends!

Elisabeth: He might come back in a few days. You never can tell with animals.