Act 2 Scene 17: New Beginning

The next morning. Laurence and Elisabeth sitting on the porch. Fritz and Emily enter.

Laurence: (Smiling) Good morning.

Fritz and Emily: (a little awkwardly) Good morning.

Laurence: Come sit down.

Elisabeth: (After they sit) We've been thinking, and...and...(starts to tear up)

Laurence: (Smiling, putting his arm around Elisabeth) We think...you're right. You should go back to the mainland.

Emily: You mean...

Fritz: Really?

Emily: But - why?

Elisabeth: We - I - know what it's like to need people. To need to be understood and accepted. And I'm afraid I didn't give you that. I'm so sorry, Emily.

Emily: I'm sorry too. I shouldn't have said what I did - about the orange farm. And, maybe you didn't understand why, but you let me stay. You let me know Abigail, and Fritz, and Franz, and Jacqui. And now, after so long, this island feels almost like home.

Elisabeth: Emily, when you return, you will always have a home to come to.

Emily: (For more than just that) Thank you.

(The two embrace and Fritz and Laurence smile.)

Elisabeth: Laurence, weren't you going to tell Fritz and Emily something?

Laurence: Oh, of course. I, uh, found a book on that ship so long ago and I've kept it up in the bedroom. I wish we'd had it when we first came here! I brought it out last night and was reading it, and it seems to have some quite sensible plans on how to build a small sailboat.

Fritz: A sailboat, Father!

Laurence: (Pleased with himself) I thought we should start work on it right away!

Fritz: Oh, yes!

Emily: That'd be wonderful!

Laurence: And I thought, maybe those trees down by the jackal den...

(Fritz, Emily and Laurence exit talking)